Elder Meeting Minutes
Elder Meeting Minutes—April 16, 2013
Present: Holly Cook, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Brian Worley
Absent: Harris Winston
Barb Sibley called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm with prayer for Alec Sharpe.
- Motion for 2012 audit. Prior to this meeting, an email motion was made by Brian Worley and seconded by Harris Winston to approve a full financial audit for 2012, table all discussion regarding the 2012 audit, and ask the Finance Committee to review policies and recommend procedures for future audits by May 30, 2013. Barb Sibley asserted that all elders must consent to voting in an informal setting, in this case, via email. Consent was obtained, and the motion passed by a 4-3 majority vote.
- Motion to approve Andy Page for Finance Committee member. Moved by Holly Cook and seconded by Brian Worley. The motion passed.
- Motion to approve April 2 meeting minutes. Moved by Holly Cook and seconded by John Ulrich. The motion passed.
Policy Manual Review:
Holly Cook distributed the latest updates and proposed changes for the bylaws, policy, and personnel manual, which will be combined into one notebook. The bylaws are subject to changes only through a congregational vote; the policies and personnel procedures are subject to changes and updates through a vote by the elders.
Some of the changes noted and discussed include the following:
- updating and adding wedding and funeral policies at Grace
- handling requests from outside ministries for scheduling and using the building
- endorsing and caring for seminary students
- defining when pastors on staff are eligible for sabbatical
- addressing unlawful harassment and/or sexual abuse of children or youth by staff or volunteers
Various proposed changes in staff titles throughout the policies eliminate references to outdated organizational structures at the church and replace those references with current titles and organizational reporting.
In addition, both the Finance and Personnel Committees are reviewing policies that pertain to their responsibilities.
- Motion to accept changes in the policies and personnel manual as presented and also suggested amendments, as of April 2013. Moved by Alec Sharpe and seconded by Brian Worley. The motion passed, with many thanks to Holly Cook for her work and oversight of this project.
Stewardship is ongoing at this time.
Chris Sasser’s Ordination:
On Sunday, April 14, at 4:30 pm, the Board of Elders met with Chris and Karin Sasser to receive Chris’s request for ordination at Grace. Chris and Karin reflected on their ministries over the years and their next steps in Wilmington, NC. The elders accepted Chris’s transcripts from Fuller Theological Seminary and also Gordon-Conwell as Chris continues to pursue a master’s degree in Christian leadership. At that meeting, the elders affirmed Chris’s call and vocation as a pastor, recognized that Chris and Karin were being sent out to expand the kingdom of God at Port City Community Church, and prayed for them and their family.
- Motion to approve and affirm Chris Sasser’s request for ordination at Grace Community Church. Moved by Holly Cook and seconded by Jack Curtin. The motion passed. Chris Sasser’s ordination will be held on Sunday, May 19, 2013, at 4:30 pm.
The meeting closed at 10 pm with prayer offered by Alec Sharpe.
Next Board of Elders meeting: May 14, 2013
Elder Meeting Minutes April 2, 2013
Present: Holly Cook, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley Also present for the children’s ministry discussion was Cindy Hays, chair of Personnel Committee.
- Alec Sharpe gave devotional on being a servant from Philippians 2:3-4.
- Prayer over Mary Sharpe and Chris Radtke
- Prayer for their upcoming women’s retreat in upstate New York
- Elder Shepherding and Pastor’s Report
- The Third Conversion (“A Glimpse into the Kingdom”)
- Vision statement
- Elders will give a brief talk to the congregation about the vision statement either in person or by video.
- Action Step: Nathan Head will be contacting us to arrange.
- Chris Sasser ordination and follow up with Clark Rinehart.
- Clark will meet with the elders after April 8th
- Action Step: Alec will tell Clark the elders want to meet with him possibly at the beginning of the May meeting.
- May 19th is the final Sunday for Chris at Grace. There is a process that needs to take place before that Sunday in order for ordination to occur. A task team must be formed immediately and the process undertaken over the next 5 weeks. Order for May 19th is regular services followed by a reception after each service which will be hosted by the Personnel Committee. The ordination service will occur at 4:30 pm that day with a dinner to follow. The dinner will be hosted by the church.
- Action Steps: Barb Sibley will check the policy for the necessity to have a task team and what is responsible for the ordination. Barb will share her thoughts with Brian Worley and John to develop a plan. Set a time for Chris to meet with the elders to receive their blessings.
- Personnel Report-Children’s Ministry Director search
- Task team summary – Shared in document form with the elders.
- Philosophy of ministry – Shared in document form with the elders. Brian Worley recommended the 17 concepts delineated in the philosophy of ministry document be clearly understood by the search team and elders.
- Motion: Harris Winston made a motion seconded by Holly Cook to accept the philosophy of ministry as proposed by the Personnel Committee. The motion passed.
- Clark will meet with the elders after April 8th
- Director profile – Four characteristics listed: pastoral shepherd, engaging communicator, relational equipper, and team player.
- Motion: Holly made a motion seconded by Jack Curtin to accept the director profile as proposed by the Personnel Committee. The motion passed.
- Job posting/ description – The posting will be on the web in the coming week.
- Motion: Alec Sharpe made a motion seconded by Brian Worley to accept the job posting / description as proposed by the Personnel Committee. The motion passed.
- Next steps with search process
- Barb Sibley recommended we decommission the task team composed of Barbara Osborne, Michelle Starbuck, DJ Hill, Beth Gentile, Katie Hemp, and Brian Worley. A sincere “thank you” by the board will be sent to the members.
- The children’s ministry director search will be nationwide.
- Personnel update
- Personnel Committee will host a reception after each service on May 19th for Chris Sasser.
- Post-evaluations have been completed with pastor evaluations remaining.
The remaining discussion pertaining to personnel centered on confidential staffing issues. In the course of that discussion, three motions were proposed, the first of which not seconded and therefore not passed. Harris Winston motioned a staffing recommendation which was seconded by Holly Cook and was passed. In addition, a corollary motion regarding staffing was proposed by Holly and seconded by Jack Curtin. The motion passed.
- Stewardship and Finance Updates
- Budget 2013 confirmation
- Brian confirmed that everyone had a copy.
- Budget 2013 confirmation
- Finance Committee Report March 2013
- Discussion about the Finance Committee providing an exact number for the budget vs. the varying recommendations.
- Missions giving continues to be raised in terms of it be 4% of the giving or $36,000. If it is 4% of budget that would be $54,000 and not $36,000. The $36,000 is being used in the budget as a number of record. The statement of the board is 4%. Concerning the months of January – March, we will need to catch up by allocating 4% of the giving for each month and adding it to April.
- We have $8,000 in the budget for a full audit. We had discussed doing a partial audit saving $2,000 every other year. Our policy requires a yearly audit but whether a full or partial is the question.
- Action item:
- Brian Worley will request a recommendation from the Finance Committee on the audit.
- Action item:
- Stewardship initiative updates
- Stewardship recommends we not send a letter thanking the members for giving.
- There will be a meeting of the members on April 14th to discuss stewardship with refreshments served. Present will be elders and members of the Finance Committee.
- Attendance and giving through March 2013
- January attendance was down 12% from previous January.
- Giving was down 4%.
- Net loss was $23,317.
- February attendance was up 2.6% from previous February.
- Giving was down 25%.
- Net loss was $43,541.
- March attendance was up 12% from previous March.
- Giving was down 12.4%.
- Net loss is $30,670.
- If April and May reflect January and February, we will be out of cash.
- Discussed informing the congregation of our financial condition.
- Barb recommended we spend the next 2 weeks in prayer about what next steps we take.
- Elder administration:
- Discussed going to one service for the summer. Decision was to stay with two services.
- Motion: Brian Worley made motion and seconded by Jack Curtin to approve minutes for February 19 and March 5th. Motion was passed.
- Procedures for future minutes
- In the future, all minutes will be sent to Barb Sibley for editing and collaboration. She will then send out final minutes.
- January attendance was down 12% from previous January.
- Motion: To the motion on Feb. 19, 2013 related to the savings account and years of repayments from 2013-2015, the elders agree to change to a specific yearly amount and agree to pay back to the saving account by December 31, 2016, $83,000. This motion was made by Brian Worley and seconded by Jack Curtin Motion passed.
- Update from Nominating Committee
- Process being developed for committee members including questions.
- Four names were given to serve on the Finance Committee. A recommendation will be forthcoming within the next week.
- Elder nominations will begin in May.
- Report on policy manual revisions
- Holly Cook will send out the policy manual prior to next meeting with changes highlighted.
- Close of meeting in prayer by Jack Curtin.
Next meeting: April 16 to review policy manual
Board of Elders Meeting Minutes March 5, 2013
Present: Holly Cook, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
Also present for stewardship/finance discussion: Skip White and David Osborne
Barb Sibley called the meeting to order at 6:30 pm, and John Ulrich opened with prayer.
John led a discussion of “New Wineskins” chapter of The Third Conversion.
Stewardship and Finance
Skip, a member of the Finance Committee, was invited to share his sub-team’s plans for the upcoming stewardship campaign in April. Much discussion centered on the overall goal of the campaign: Is it to gain financial commitments or to present an opportunity for members to think about their giving in terms of overall discipleship and to find joy in their giving?
The consensus was that the stewardship time would be more about “inside out” giving, with members having the chance to spend time asking God how He would direct their giving, rather than “outside in” giving, which puts pressure on people to give because they feel obligated.
Action items: It was decided that members would have the option to return pledge cards or keep them. Still to be determined: whether to handle follow up with thank you letters. Finally, if anyone had specific questions about the budget figures, he/she would be referred to the Finance Committee.
The elders offered special thanks to Skip and his team regarding stewardship.
From there, David Osborne, chair of the Finance Committee, led a discussion about the options for the 2013 budget. He reviewed giving and attendance for January and February of 2012 vs. the same two months of 2013. He also made three recommendations from the Finance Committee for the total budget for the elders to consider. They are as follows:
- $1,208,000 (which is based on a projected 1% giving increase over 2012)
- $1,260,000 to $1,275,000
- Whatever the elders decide should be based on where they feel God is leading them
Regardless of the final budget figure, Barb requested that the Finance Committee monitor income/expenses and keep the elders updated as the year progresses. David was thanked for his time and work on the budget.
Personnel Report and Budget Recommendations
Holly Cook presented a report from Personnel Committee from its most recent meeting. Regarding the 2013 budget, Personnel recommended a range from $624,000 to $651,000 for personnel expenses. A variety of options were discussed.
Brian Worley facilitated the budget discussion for three main areas comprising the 2013 total budget: staff expenses, operational expenses, and ministry expenses. A large range of options and possible decisions were discussed and prayed over. Regarding staff expenses, the following actions were approved:
- Offering a contract for Nathan Head, current contract worship leader, through December 31, 2013
- Hiring a full-time director of children’s ministry to begin August 1, 2013 with the interim position now in place ending August 26, 2013
- Hiring a part time coordinator of adult ministries, with a primary focus on small groups, to begin by July 1, 2013
- Distributing no 401K match for employees for 2013
Regarding operational expenses, the following actions were approved:
- Budgeting for atrium improvements to enhance a “welcoming community” atmosphere
- Reducing, as much as possible, expenses for items such as printing, maintenance, and furniture and equipment
- Removing a $13,000 repayment to the savings account
Regarding ministry expenses, the following actions were approved:
- Providing for missions as a percentage of operational giving.
Action item: With several line item budget figures still undecided, Harris Winston made a motion, seconded by Holly Cook, to accept a final budget with a ceiling of $1,255,000, with the actual final figure being agreed upon in the next few days via email approval. This motion passed.
In a subsequent email exchange, a motion was made by Holly Cook and seconded by Jack Curtin to approve a total budget of $1,250,000 for 2013. This budget includes staff expenses of $641,268; operational expenses of $496,232; and ministry expenses of $112,500. The motion passed.
Ordination process for Chris Sasser
The elders discussed the procedures for Chris Sasser’s ordination in May.
Action item: John will review current procedures and email the elders.
In a subsequent email exchange, the elders affirmed both the letter and the spirit of recommending Chris Sasser for ordination through Grace Community Church.
Moderator’s Recap and Next Steps
Barb asked for a motion to approve minutes from the January 15 and February 5 elder meetings—along with the end-of-year financial statements that were reviewed at the February 5 meeting—as well as the minutes from the February 10 special meeting of the members to elect the 2013 Nominating Committee. Jack made the motion and Holly seconded. The motion passed.
John presented a list of Grace members seeking dismissal from the church rolls. The motion to accept their dismissal was made by Brian, seconded by Holly, and approved. See attached list.
The next elder meeting will be April 2; the meeting in May will be on the 14th.
The meeting was adjourned at 11:20 pm.
Respectfully submitted, Alec Sharpe
MEMBERS TO BE DISMISSED
Elder Meeting 3/5/13
- Boersma, Todd Transferred to Summit Church (Briar Creek)
- Creech, Lindsay Transferred to Summit Church
- Sullivan (Futrell), Jan Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Hamrick, Katherine Austin Edenton Street United Methodist Church
- Hess, Brenda Sunset United Methodist Church, Sunset Beach, NC
- Hess, Glenn Sunset United Methodist Church, Sunset Beach, NC
- Johnson, Carolyn Christ Baptist Church
- Johnson, Dale Christ Baptist Church
- King, Joy Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Mason, Mary Christ Baptist Church
- Mason, Thomas Christ Baptist Church
- Meyer, Beth Holy Trinity Anglican Church
- Patterson, Sara Restoration Community Church
- Scott, Marian North Raleigh United Methodist Church
- Trumbower, Cindy Saint Andrews Presbyterian Church
- Viemont, Jenn United Church of Chapel Hill
- Viemont, Tom United Church of Chapel Hill
- Webster, Patrick Hayes Barton United Methodist Church
- Webster, Gwendolyn Hayes Barton United Methodist Church
- Weeks, Dawn Wake Forest Baptist Church
- Weeks, Kevin Wake Forest Baptist Church
Elder Meeting Minutes – 02/19/2013
Present: Holly Cook, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
Jack gave a devotional on the glory of God from Exodus 32-34 and Revelation 4-5.
The elders discussed the next two chapters of the book “Third Conversion” by R. Scott Rodin to help them examine the topic of stewardship.
Budget/Finance discussion (Brian/Harris)
Motion 1: The board considered a suggestion from the finance committee to use a “tithing the tithe” model for funding missions. A motion was made by Brian and seconded by Harris to table a decision on this until May in order to allow the elders to prayerfully consider this request. The motion to table the discussion until May passed.
Motion 2: Harris made a motion seconded by John to direct 4% of operational giving to missions. This funding would be above and not to include any funds directly designated for missions. The motion passed.
Motion 3: Brian made a motion seconded by Harris to rename the Forray/Money Market Account to ‘General Saving Account’ and to operate it as a savings account for the Church. The savings account is to be managed by the Elder Board and all transactions must be approved by the Elder Board. Motion passed.
Motion 4: Brian made a motion seconded by Harris to add a budget item to contribute $27,000 in each of the years 2013, 2014, and 2015 (for a total contribution of $81,000) to this savings account. Motion passed.
Motion 5: Brian made a motion seconded by Harris to table discussions regarding future facility needs until June 2013. Motion passed.
Next meeting March 5th
Grace Community Church Special Meeting of the Membership
Sunday, February 10, 2013, at 9:15 am
Barb Sibley, Board of Elders moderator, called the meeting to order by declaring a quorum.
Barb stated the purpose of the congregational meeting was to elect the Nominating Committee for 2013; she also explained some of the changes with the governance structure and timing of calls for the board committees, with the Nominating Committee commencing on a January-December time line and with committee members serving 3-year terms.
Barb also explained that the Nominating Committee’s role is to recommend members to serve on the Board of Elders as well as on Personnel and Finance and that according to our bylaws, the election of men and women to the Nominating Committee requires membership approval.
The members were then presented with nominees whom the Board of Elders was recommending to serve on the Nominating Committee. These persons include:
Jim Adams Chris Radtke Martha Sumner Erin Winston
Brad Gwinn Jim Salisbury Joe Toomey
Barb added that with the changes in governance structure enacted in 2012, Alec Sharpe, a current elder, serves on this Committee as a board liaison. John Ulrich also serves.
Barb then asked if there were nominations from the floor: none were presented.
A motion was made and seconded by the members to approve the slate as presented. A vote by raised hands was taken. All who voted were in favor of these candidates to serve on the Nominating Committee. No voting members opposed.
Barb declared that the nominees for the Nominating Committee were thus approved.
A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
Barb closed the meeting with prayer at 9:25 am.
Subsequent to this meeting, Barb also introduced Erin Winston as Interim Director of Children’s Ministry; in addition, Barb communicated the membership vote taken at the 9:15 congregational meeting at the beginning of the 11 am worship service and again introduced Erin Winston.
Grace Community Church
Elder Meeting Minutes – 02/05/2013
Present: Holly Cook, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
The elder’s discussed the 1st two chapters of the book “Third Conversion” by R. Scott Rodin to help them examine the topic of stewardship. Many aspects were examined, including the idea of raising up faithful stewards vs. just raising funds. The joy of generosity was discussed. Afterwards, there was a brief discussion regarding the upcoming sermon series and the shepherding discussion ended with a discussion of the new vision statement under consideration: “Growing together in a faith that makes sense; being transformed from the inside out”.
Barb talked about our upcoming meeting to approve the list of folks recommended for the nominating committee at the 9:15 service on Sunday 2/10/13. She agreed to lead and take the minutes for the congregational meeting. The congregation would be asked to vote on the following nominees that were selected by the elder board and sent to all the church membership for review:
Jim Adams, Brad Gwinn, Chris Radtke, Jim Salisbury, Martha Sumner, Joe Toomey, Erin Winston
Next, the elders approved the membership of those who just completed the new member class:
Christy and Scott Burkey, Gregg and Tracey Margosian, Derrick Flynt, Tom Harrington, Jennifer Marko, Lynn Scott, and Glenn Vanover
Brian and Harris led a finance discussion. The elders were asked to review the annual balance sheet and end of year report for 2012. A few important statistics are that income for 2012 exceeded 2011 and that Grace ended the year with a healthy cash balance of about $104k. Brian suggested we should strive for an even healthier end of year balance of $175k in the future.
The end of year reports were approved by the board. These documents are attached.
Brian told the board that there are many issues that the church committees are waiting for the elders to make decisions about or at least give them a timeframe in which to expect answers. The following are the areas that need to be addressed:
1) being a tithing church (tithing the tithe). Top priority
2) saving/repay Forray account? Second priority
3) missions income/expense?
4) June, 2016 facility? negotiations summer of 2014. If we are going to move, this becomes the top priority.
5) stewardship campaign 2013? Finance is already working on this
1) 4 possible positions vacant
-music (coverage, interim, hire)
-children – interim in place, philosophy research in progress, search to follow
2) If we only could afford one position, what is the #1 priority? Brian shared this is important to resolve quickly.
And overall, we have these unresolved issues
-questions-> * how does a church grow with this vision?
2) sr adults
3) adult ministries
-education/discipleship (small groups)
Brian asked the elders to prioritize and make decisions on these items. The elders very briefly discussed some of them. The decision was made to make decisions on the top priority items before March 5th.
Brian accepted an action item to look into what it would take to pay Unemployment insurance for the staff since Grace currently does not pay Unemployment insurance (and is not required to do so by law).
With this list of issues to be resolved as background, Brian/Harris presented the initial (draft) 2013 proposed budget (final budget due March 5th). After the budget was presented, the elders were asked to pray and consider the proposal in the next few days.
Harris reminded the elders that by Feb 19th we need to let the Finance committee know if/how we want to finance missions because of the budget vote March 5th.
Barb also asked the elders to pray about adult ministry and shepherding at Grace. The meeting ended with prayer.
Next meeting Feb 19th
Elder Meeting Minutes – 1/22/2013
The meeting started with a devotion (Holly).
The elders then visited the Stephen Ministry class to pray with the new students.
- John – pastor’s thoughts
1. John suggested a book for us to read and discuss as a group – The Third Conversion by R. Scott Rodin
2. Sunday’s sermon will be about giving: financially, in service and in worship.
The concept of “wherever the gospel is embraced, generosity follows,” is all through the Bible. There is a difference between sacrifice and generosity. If we share with an open, generous heart, we need to accept the resources God has given us. As a church, what if we let go of entrenched expectations and die to ourselves?
Next week, the sermon will address who we are as a church and where we are going.
- Barb – elder administration
1. Feb. 3 is Communion Sunday – Jack is scheduled to be elder of the month, but he is involved with Metamorphosis and will be busy that morning. Barb offered to switch with Jack and will coordinate communion servers. Nathan Head will take care of communion supplies.
2. Nominating Committee — Harris moved to accept the Nominating Committee’s recommendations for nominees to the Nominating Committee. The motion passed. The congregational meeting to approve nominees will be Sunday, Feb. 10. The vote will be at the 9:15 service. Notice of the meeting will go out via email and by regular mail to those members who do not receive email.
The first order of business of the new Nominating Committee will be Corey Simpson’s replacement.
3. New member class – John said it was a good class on Sunday night; there are nine candidates for membership. The elders will meet the class on Sunday, Feb. 3 at lunch. Barb, Harris, Jack and Alec will go (Holly will be out of town). An issue that remains to be resolved — What is the next step for these people once they become members?
4. Minutes – Once minutes are approved, they will go on the website. Barb wants unanimous approval.
5. NA (Narcotics Anonymous) meetings – Whether to have NA meetings at Grace is a staff issue. Brian sent an email to the elders explaining the process to be followed. The request goes to the executive pastor, who discusses it with the senior pastor, and then they discuss with staff. Jack said that NA will submit a formal, written request to the church.
- Joanne Salisbury — for Hospitality Team (First Impressions)
The elders went out to the atrium to meet with Joanne and talk about plans the FITS team has to improve Grace’s hospitality toward visitors, especially first-timers. Main issue: How do we become more proactive in caring for those who visit Grace?
Joanne presented sketches of modifications to the Welcome Center to make it more inviting and open. The new furniture would be mobile rather than stationary and would be moved to the center of the atrium to make the Welcome Center more visible. The cost could be up to $9,000. All hospitality would be moved to the Welcome Center, including the serving of coffee and tea. The team also is looking at an electronic name tag system similar to that used by Children’s Ministry.
- David Osborne — chair of Finance Committee
David came to the meeting to discuss the 2013 budget and Finance Committee initiatives.
- The committee is preparing the 2013 budget to present at the February elder meeting.
- David introduced the concept of “tithing the tithe” (discussed in the Old Testament –Deuteronomy) in which 10% of offerings go outside the walls of the church (in our case, to missions). Attendees would be challenged to increase their operational giving to the church by $5 each week. This increased giving could total as much as $260 per attendee per year, for a total increase of as much as $115,700, which would be earmarked for Missions. Designated giving to Missions would still be allowed.
John — If we endorse tithing, it is not because theologically we are under the law. Rather, we give generously as a biblical expression of our faith. This is not the only way to fund missions—we could do faith promises (as we did last year), wherein members are moved to make designated contributions to the Mission Ministry.
The idea of tithing the tithe represents a major shift. We need to pray about this and perhaps even set aside a day of fasting.
- David next discussed the Finance Committee’s thoughts on a Savings Plan – a “rainy day” fund to help us through the “dry spells” of summer so that we do not need to make emergency pleas for additional giving.
However, the previous board voted to withdraw $83,000 from the Forray account for building renovations and to pay back the funds as soon as would be practical. That repayment could be the priority.
The church can be a role model for members through the management of finances.
Timeline – final decision on “tithing the tithe” and the savings proposal will be Feb. 19.
- Barb, Brian – Personnel Issues
Barb had previously distributed a progress report from Michelle Starbuck, chair of the children’s ministry task team. The team is working to research, develop and write a philosophy of children’s ministry at Grace. The group is meeting frequently and expects to finish by the end of February.
Members of the task force are studying scripture, reading books, analyzing curriculum and contacting children’s ministry staff at several other churches in the Southeast. Among the important issues they will consider: How will children’s ministry segue into the middle school and high school ministries?
Elizabeth Voiers will chair the search team for the new Children’s Ministry director. The team should be in place by Feb. 1.
Brian reported that the Personnel Committee will meet on Jan. 29 and will be preparing the 2013 compensation package for the elders to approve. What the elders must consider at the same time is the ideal organizational structure at Grace now and into the future. What will be the staffing priorities – someone for discipleship and education; someone to foster growth; the children? How do we best steward the church in staffing? As elders we need to consider how we can get in front of this issue and stay in front of it. Brian would love to say to Personnel –“here is the order of the hire.”
- Barb — Moderator’s recap
We need to clear up confusion regarding the vision statement and whether we all consider it to be final. There is some concern about the phrase “a faith that makes sense.” John’s explanation: The more I think like God, the more faith makes sense; it is like saying “renewing of the mind.”
While everyone feels comfortable with the concept of the vision, the phrasing may have to be tweaked a bit.
John will work on clarifying the statement, we will all pray about it, and we will share it with those close to us.
Nathan will be leading music on Sunday. Please pray for the congregation’s reception.
Next elder meeting: Tuesday, February 5, at Grace
Elder Meeting 1/15/13 – Vision Discussion
The meeting opened in prayer.
John launched the discussion by referring to the following passage:
“ Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” John 12:24
- He then asked: Do we (Grace) need to die to ourselves as a church so that we can then produce many seeds?
- Our goal is for God’s kingdom to grow inside of us so that everywhere we go, ministry is getting done, whether it supports Grace or not. If we take care of God’s business, He’ll take care of ours.
- We must trust God to bear fruit.
- The Church’s mandate is the Great Commission. Each church takes facet of the mandate to live out. Moreover, vision is discerned, not decided.
- She suggested using the acronym VIM – vision, intention, means—as our guidepost.
- Let’s not just put a “vision” on a shelf once we are done. How does it trickle down to the rest of the church?
The discussion then moved to a dissection of the statement that John made several months ago in assessing his personal vision:
Building a faith that makes sense by transforming people from the inside out.
- Rather than “by transforming,” should the statement read: “and transforms”?
- John said he would prefer “growing in a faith” rather than “building a faith.”
- John referred to Romans 12:1-2 — Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.
- John explained what he meant by “a faith” – not belief (as a verb), but as a belief system that defines who we are and informs how we live our lives. He also explained what he meant by “building” – we are never done and are always learning and discovering.
The discussion then moved to how John’s statement (or a revision of the statement) could apply to the various parts of Grace:
- Missions –as we are transformed, we think outside ourselves and our own needs and reach out to those beyond the walls of the church to spread the Gospel, in our own city and throughout the world.
- Worship – preaching informs how to think, not just what to think – yet there is a piece of worship that is a mystery and will always be a mystery.
- Discipleship—ultimate goal – renewing of the mind – if faith is right, actions will follow.
- Children’s ministry—parents have a faith that grows in them and they are able to disciple their children.
- Youth ministry—same thing as children’s ministry—small moments that lead to transformation.
- Finances – longing for the congregation to give joyfully from the inside – giving doesn’t come from guilt or need.
- Community/fellowship – relationships that grow the Gospel or the kingdom.
- Outreach – bringing the hope of Christ with you at all times; it’s not a program; it’s an outward result of our inward growth.
- Staff and leadership– growing staff and leaders from the inside out – nurturing them to grow the kingdom.
This way of ministry involves risk, because it requires trust.
How to measure success?
- A church body that has variety and movement – non-believers, seekers, people who are growing, people with deep faith–broad enough that all types are connected in the church body and all have a place in the church. Disciples are being made.
- To see God’s kingdom grow within us and outside us in all that we do.
- Life change, captured.
- Successful small groups.
Statement as it is written does not address:
- The corporate
- The mystery
- The word “building”
- The word “by”
- The heart – is the statement too logical?
What is God calling us to do for this leg of our journey? This is not an eternal statement.
Each person then took 10 minutes to rewrite the statement so that it would address our concerns. The revised statements were as follows:
Alec — Building on faith that transforms Grace from the inside out.
Jack – Develop a community grounded in a faith that makes sense, a faith that transforms people from the inside out.
Brian – Developing a community of people exploring the gospel of Jesus Christ as God transforms each person from the inside out.
Harris – Inviting our community to grow in a faith that makes sense, transforming people from the inside out.
Barb – Investing in a faith in Christ that takes root, makes sense and transforms people from the inside out.
And finally, John’s reworked statement, which we all agreed will be the one we use:
Our vision: Growing together in a faith that makes sense; being transformed by Christ from the inside out.
John’s final question for us all to ponder: How do we get buy-in?
The meeting ended in prayer.
Next elder meeting: Tuesday, January 22, 6:30pm, Room 114, Grace
Elder Meeting Minutes – 1/8/2013
1. The meeting began with scripture, reflection and much prayer.
2. We then moved onto administrative issues:
We will continue to follow an alphabetical schedule for “elder of the month.” The elder of the month will be responsible for communion, writing meeting minutes and offering a devotion at the start of the elder meeting. Holly is January’s elder of the month.
Alec agreed to organize the weekly 9am prayer time with the worship team. Resting elders will be invited to join us, and there will be no formal schedule. Pat McInnes, who initiated the prayer time last year, has expressed an interest in continuing.
Alec, Harris and Holly said everything is going well so far in their roles as liaisons to the Nominating, Finance and Personnel committees. Jack’s work on Executive Personnel will start soon.
3. Update on progress with a new Nominating Committee–Six people have been confirmed for the Nominating Committee: Jim Adams, Brad Gwinn, Chris Radtke, Jim Salisbury, Joe Toomey and Erin Winston. Joe will serve on and chair the committee this year. He would like one additional voting member.
4. Corey Simpson has had to step off the Finance Committee, leaving a vacancy on Finance that will be filled once the congregation has approved the new Nominating Committee.
5. This Sunday morning between services, a “Meet and Greet Grace” will take place in room 123. It will be an opportunity for visitors to find out more about the church.
6. Finance report (Brian, with input from Harris)
2012 estimated expenses totaled $1,235,000, $15,000 below budget.
Total income from contributions is expected to be $1,195,000.
The year ended on a much more positive note financially than had been expected, with December contributions totaling an estimated $210,000. In addition, giving increased year to year for the first time since 2007. Cash in the bank stood at $119,000 as of Friday, Jan. 5.
7. Personnel report (Holly and Brian) – Erin Winston has started as the interim director of children’s ministry. The task team that was formed to assemble a philosophy of ministry and a profile for the next director has been working since December under Michelle Starbuck’s leadership. A chair for the Children’s Ministry search team should be finalized very soon, followed by formation of the rest of the team. The elders and the Personnel Committee will make sure to communicate regularly as the search for a new Children’s Ministry director continues.
The remaining discussion on personnel centered on confidential staffing issues.
Harris moved to accept a staffing recommendation proposed by the Personnel Committee. The motion was approved.
8. John shared his personal vision statement – “I am trying to build a faith that makes sense by transforming people from the inside out.” He asked each of us to study this statement over the next week – are we OK with it? Our meeting on Tuesday, January 15 will focus on a discussion of the statement and its implications for Grace.
9. The meeting ended with prayer led by Harris.
Next meeting: Tuesday, January 15, 6pm, at Grace
Elder Meeting Minutes
December 4, 2012
Elder is Attendance: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Harris Winston, Barb Sibley, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, and Kay Gamble via conference call
Pastors in Attendance: John Ulrich and Brian Worley
Our meeting opened with dinner at 6:00 pm followed by a time of fellowship.
Harris Winston provided the devotion for the evening and opened the meeting in prayer.
Joe Toomey made a motion to approve revisions made to the November minutes, Harris seconded, and the motion was approved.
Discussion on the slates for new Finance and Personnel Committee members ensued as names were provided by the Nominating Committee. Only one spot remained to be filled on the Personnel Committee.
Discussion on new Church Officers.
Drew Turner made a motion, “To accept the Nominating Committees recommendations for new Finance, Personnel Committee members, and new Church Officer positions.” Cindy Hays Seconded and the motion was approved.
- David Osborne (Chair)
- Mark Cates
- Corey Simpson
- Kathy Starkey
- Skip White
- Cindy Hays (Chair)
- Greg Westfall
- Hope Tharrington
- David Matzer
- President: Jim Salisbury
- Secretary: Hope Tharrington
- Treasurer: Mark Cates
- Assistant Secretary: Barb Sibley (Moderator)
2013 Nominating Committee discussion took place; Joe Toomey was to provide a list of potential candidates for these positions with more discussion to occur about these individuals next week December 11, 2012.
John Ulrich led discussion on time he had been spending in prayer about Grace Vision and his desire to re-organize New Member class concepts. The feedback was positive on the concepts John reviewed with the Elders. The following are the desires we have for New Members:
- To ensure that each person has a growing relationship with God
- To enable each new member to get anchored into Grace
- To clarify the Expectations of members at Grace
The idea of a Sermon Series on these same topics was discussed and feedback was positive.
Cindy Hays and Brian Worley led a discussion on Personnel Updates. Barbara Osborne had done a great job as host for parents and kids in Faithtown, many thanks to Barbara. Michelle Starbuck has agreed to chair the Children’s Ministry Task Team. Interim Children’s Ministry Director is still being pursued, more information to follow next week. Children’s Ministry Parents meeting to occur on December 9. Additional staff updates were given.
Our meeting was closed in prayer by Pat McInnis
Elder Meeting Minutes
December 11, 2012
Elders in Attendance: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Harris Winston, Barb Sibley, Jack Curtin, Alec Sharpe, and Kay Gamble
Pastors in Attendance: John Ulrich and Brian Worley
Our meeting opened with dinner at 6pm followed by a time of fellowship.
Barb Sibley thanked the current board for their service and many current board members spoke about things they had learned during the year and shared wisdom on recommendations for the 2013 board.
Joe Toomey led the board in a time of prayer. The board shared Communion, prepared by Barb and administered by John Ulrich.
The final Personnel Committee member for 2013 accepted the offer to join. Joe Toomey made a motion, “To approve Ken Taylor as the last addition to the Personnel Committee.” Drew Turner seconded and the motion was approved.
Nominating Committee candidates for 2013 were reviewed and an ordered list was compiled so that the current Nominating Committee could ask these individuals if they would be willing to serve. Once 7 members were identified the Elders would approve via email that these candidates be presented to the congregation.
The discussion on the revisions to the Grace Handbook and policies occurred and all 2013 Elder board members were provided with copies of policy revisions and clarifications. Many thanks to Holly Cook and the Governance Transition Team.
The Governance Transition Team made four recommendations on areas in the policy manual that they did not feel comfortable making changes to without additional input. These four recommendations were discussed and motions were made on each. The motion was made that the 2013 Elder Board would take responsibility for making sure these four areas were reviewed and execution was made for there revision in the policy manual.
Recommendation 1: Motioned by Joe Seconded by Kay Gamble and approved.
Recommendation 2: Motioned by Joe Toomey, seconded by Harris and approved
Recommendation 3: Motioned by Joe Toomey, seconded by Chris Radtke and approved
Recommendation 4: Motioned by Joe Toomey, seconded by Kathy Starkey and approved.
Personnel report was given by Cindy Hays. The parents meeting that occurred on December 9 went well, only about 10 parents attended and there were no concerns or questions addressed. A follow up letter will go out this week as follow up. The Children’s Ministry Task Team members were announced and are as follows: Michelle Starbuck (Chair), Brian Worley, Barbara Osborne, Beth Gentile, DJ Hill and Katie Hemp. That team is in the process of coming up with members for the Search Team and Greg Westfall has agreed to serve. Interim Children’s Ministry Director discussion occurred, a motion was made by Cindy Hays to approve Erin Winston as Interim Children’s Ministry Director on a volunteer basis for the first two months of the year. Seconded by Pat McInnis and approved.
Housing Allowance letters for John Ulrich, Brian Worley and Murray Haber were presented to Drew Turner, as Finance Committee Chair. Drew Turner motioned that the board accept these letters and approve the housing allowance designations. Joe Toomey seconded and motion was approved.
January 6, 2012 was the date settled on for 2013 Elder Board ordination and commissioning.
Our meeting was closed in prayer.
Respectfully submitted by Harris Winston
Elder Meeting Minutes
November 6, 2012 – Revised 11/13/12
Attendees: Jim Adams, Harris Winston, Jack Curtin, Barb Sibley, John Ulrich, Alec Sharpe, Cindy Hays, Holly Cook, Pat McInnes, Kathy Starkey, Brian Worley, Chris Radtke, Drew Turner
The meeting was started at 6:00 with dinner. A devotional reading from The Blessed Life by Robert Morris was delivered by Drew Turner followed by a prayer.
A shepherding meeting will be held at the church on Tuesday evening from 7:00 to 8:00. The theme will be silence in worship. The leaders will be Barb and Pat. A suggestion was made to read chapters 7 and 8 of Face Down if possible.
The group discussed elder roles for the new elders beginning in 2013. Harris made a motion that was seconded and passed by voice vote to elect Barb Sibley as the moderator of the new board. Additional discussion of other roles took place as well. Drew spoke about the work of the finance committee, Cindy spoke about the personnel committee, and Pat spoke about the nominating committee. (Subsequent to the meeting, assignments were made as follows: Finance Liaison – Harris Winston, Nominating Liaison – Alec Sharpe, Personnel Liaison – Holly Cook and Executive Personnel member – Jack Curtin.)
A discussion of the three church officers took place and it was noted that all of the existing officers have completed a four year term and need to be replaced. Currently Sherry Gupton is President, Karen Latta is Secretary and Tom Proctor is Treasurer. The nominating committee is meeting on November 14th to nominate members to fill the open positions on both finance and personnel committees. Suggestions should be made to Joe Toomey. The 2012 board will vote on these positions. A new nominating committee will begin in January.
We reviewed the policy on communion. Changes were recommended and discussed. Cindy made a motion to approve the policy with the changes. It was seconded and approved by voice vote.
The new policy is as follows:
Resting elders, sitting elders and all pastors are the only part of the body ordained to administer and serve communion. They are set apart to shepherd the congregation and serve both Christ and the church in remembering the life of Christ. The recruitment of elders to serve communion, the spiritual leadership of those elders, and the serving of communion are roles of the elders and pastors at Grace.
Responsibilities for the monthly management, upkeep and materials for communion are under the leadership the Music and/or Worship Ministry. The director or leader of the Music and/or Worship Ministry will implement the ministry of communion as scheduled by the worship development of our church. This role will be part of the job description of the director or appointed leader of this ministry. The director or appointed leader of this ministry is encouraged to seek active participation from church members in this important aspect of worship.
Holly is going back to the governance committee to see if they are willing to be available to assist with the governance implementation.
A discussion took place about changes within the children’s ministry. The process went well with Ashley. The subsequent meeting with the parents also went well. Barbara Osborne has agreed to serve as the interim director to greet on Sunday mornings from November 6th to December 16th. Julie Sauls will be handling administration during this time. After December 16th a new interim will be appointed. A motion was made and approved specifying that the interim director will not be allowed to serve as the permanent director. The interim job will be about 15 hours a week. A determination has not been made about paying the second interim director. Further discussion will take place at the shepherding meeting about paying the second interim. Barbara will work unpaid.
A discussion took place regarding church finances. Drew reported that the giving budget is $1,250,000 and that we tentatively are expecting actual giving to be $1,150,000. Based on actual expenses, we expecting a shortfall of about $70,000 for the year. Drew went on to explain that,based on recent giving trends, the finance committee would be recommending a $65,000 reduction in staffing expenses and a $35,000 reduction in operating expenses for the 2013 budget. Additionally, a request will be made for ministries to reduce expenses about $10,000 next year.
A recommendation has been made by the mission committee to invite Restoration church to join us in serving the Thanksgiving dinner at Duke. The elders signified their agreement with this plan by email. John noted that he wanted to share this plan with the congregation.
The meeting was closed in prayer by John.
October 2, 2012
Elders in Attendance: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Harris Winston, Barb Sibley, Jack Curtin
Elders Absent: Alec Sharpe, Kay Gamble
Pastors in Attendance: John Ulrich, Brian Worley
Our meeting began with dinner at 6:00 p.m. which included welcoming our new elders, Jack Curtin and Barb Sibley, along with returning elders Holly Cook and Harris Winston. The work of the nominating committee was appreciated and celebrated.
At 7:00 p.m. Chris Radtke led with a devotion.
John then spoke regarding the shepherding of elders and the congregation. He divided the elders into three groups and we prayed for the issues facing our church at the moment: Ashley Henderson and her family; the future of the children’s ministry; and for Grace in general. We reunited and continued in prayer as a group for the families that have children in Faithtown. The names of these families were divided among our elders so that we can reach out to them and express our concern and availability as we shepherd them. Each elder was assigned about 5 families.
Cindy Hays then reported from the Personnel Committee their concerns regarding the departure of our Children’s Ministry Director and asked for guidance as to how to move forward in Children’s Ministry staffing. Teachers are lined up through the entire year and Faithtown will continue as it is.
Several scenarios were discussed, including having a volunteer interim director. Further discussion will take place before a definite decision is made. Drew Turner made a motion to empower the Personnel Committee to do what is necessary to identify a volunteer interim director and have the elders be apprised of their work before making a final decision. Harris Winston seconded the motion and the motion was passed.
We were encouraged to be in continual prayer regarding this issue.
David Osborne then joined our meeting to report from the Governance Transition team. David distributed the document that had already been emailed to the elders which clearly defined the roles of the church’s committees. There was much discussion that followed regarding clarification of elder liaisons to the committees.
Joe Toomey made a motion to amend the first paragraph under Committee Composition item #6 – Committees of the Board to include the following wording: “The elder serving as committee liaison has no administrative duties, but is responsible for reporting committee business to the rest of the board and bringing direction from the board to the committee.” Holly Cook seconded the motion and the motion was passed.
Discussion ensued regarding the question of who the committee chair is responsible to and what is the accountability of the chairperson since it will no longer be an elder.
Harris Winston made a motion to add the following under the chairperson’s responsibilities: “To set the meeting agenda with input from the liaison and the pastor.” Joe Toomey seconded the motion and it was passed.
There were several questions regarding item #7 – Altar Guild. Brian expressed concern that the responsibilities will ultimately fall on the worship director and that raises a question of who has the authority as to how the work will be accomplished. The transition team will again consider the wording of the explanation of the altar guild responsibilities.
David Osborne was then thanked for his and the team’s diligent work. David was dismissed from the meeting.
Cindy then completed the report to the Board from the Personnel Committee.
Drew Turner distributed the financial documents that reflected a need in the cash flow area. Because our line of credit may be shrunk or withdrawn since we have not used it in several years, Drew made a motion to approve a drawdown on the line of credit for $15,000 between now and the next elder meeting. Jim Adams seconded and the motion was passed.
Stewardship was discussed and agreed upon that it cannot be a casual effort for next year. It needs to be deliberate and proactive relating a positive message.
The meeting was ended in prayer by Joe Toomey.
Minutes from Elder Meeting 9/4/12
Attending: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Barbara Osborne, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
Absent: Kay Gamble, Chris Radtke
- Kristen Hoyle and Megan Olson from Thomas Judy & Tucker presented their 2012 audit of Grace Community. They reported complete cooperation from management and staff at Grace. They gave us 5 recommendations which Brian addressed.
- Pat presented a devotion ‘walking in a relaxed manner’.
- Joe presented the 2013 elder slate and opened discussion of any remaining questions. Joe made a motion that Barb Sibley be placed on the 2013 slate for BOE. Jim seconded. The motion was approved. Joe made a motion that Holly Cook be placed on the 2013 slate. Cindy seconded. The motion was approved. Joe made a motion that Harris Winston be placed on the 2013 slate. Cindy seconded. The motion was approved. Joe made a motion that Alex Sharpe be placed on the 2013 slate. Harris seconded. The motion was approved. Joe made a motion that Jack Curtin be placed on the 2013 slate, Jim seconded. The motion was approved.
- David Osborne opened a discussion of the documents prepared by the Governance Transition Team. Joe made a motion that we approve recommendation #1/ organization chart. Harris seconded. Motion approved. Joe made a motion that we approve recommendation #2/role of moderator as ammended (Moderator to serve 2-year term with option of 1 additional year for maximum of 3-year term as moderator subject to approval of the board). Jim seconded. Motion approved. Joe made a motion that we approve recommendation #3/ role of elders. Cindy seconded. Motion passed. Joe made a motion that recommendation #4/role of senior pastor/executive pastor be passed. Joe made a motion that recommendation #5/committees be passed as modified. (Committee chair may serve up to a maximum 3-year term with annual approval of BOE. 2-year commitment preferred.) John seconded. Motion passed. Recommendation #6 sent back to team for additional detail.
- Drew Turner reported on the stewardship campaign. They were pleased to announce that 59 cards had been received pledging $77,400. through December 31 over the yearly giving. The campaign will continue through September .They are encouraged and hoping to engage more of our congregation.
- Senior Pastor report. John shared that he felt encouraged in this sermon series on Mystery that Grace was beginning to worship and establish our identity. He reported that the staff objectives were coming along on work on the staff covenant , G2C. Picture is beginning to emerge. He had his first day off Saturday finishing his sermon on Friday. We celebrate that.
- The meeting ended with Kathy Starky closing in prayer.
Minutes from Elder Meeting 8/7/12
Attending: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Kay Gamble, Cindy Hays (remotely), Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
Absent: Pat McInnes, Kathy Starkey
1. Joe opened the meeting with a devotion on what the term “saved by grace through faith” means to him.
2. David Osborne, chair of the governance transition team, presented a summary of the team’s key findings and recommendations to date regarding church policies and governance. After the meeting, the elders received by email a copy of the team’s specific recommendations.
- The team has looked at the structure of committees – primarily nominating, personnel and finance, whose members are appointed by the elders – and has recommended several changes.
- The team also recommends changes to the preparation of communion and other worship elements through the creation of an “altar guild.”
- The team has recommended changes to the church structure vis-à-vis reporting relationships, committees and ministries.
- The team feels that the current church policy on sexual harassment needs to be revised, but should be evaluated by a lawyer or HR professional.
Homework: The governance transition team is to obtain further feedback from the finance committee concerning stewardship.
The elders are to read through the documents that David sent and email feedback to each other.
3. John and Joe opened a discussion on the “health” of Grace and a vision for Grace.
John – John compared the church’s present state with battles described in 1 Samuel 4 and 1 Samuel 7. We don’t win by having superior resources, doing what has worked in the past, or by adding God on. God is the battle. If we have his presence, we win.
While he was on vacation, John spent time thinking and praying about Grace, visiting another church’s worship service (Summit), and working on a vision for the church.
* Our attention has been turned inward the last few years – it is time to reach out.
* We have to stop trying to fix the hole and add more from the top.
* Right now, we do not know what to do with visitors. The FITS group has made a move in the right direction, but we must do more.
We must develop a plan and a structure and start a culture change at Grace. We cannot really start making changes until we have a structure in place. Communication with the congregation – honest, frank communication – is key.
John has created his personal vision statement for the church – “I am trying to build a faith that makes sense by transforming people from the inside out.” This vision clarifies what has always been John’s passion – working with those who have been exposed to Christianity but have an “outside” view of the church.
Homework: John passed out a set of questions for everyone to think about and have ready to discuss at a meeting scheduled for Monday, Sept. 10 at 7pm. The shepherding meeting scheduled for Tuesday, Sept. 18 has been canceled.
Joe – Joe opened a discussion to review feedback from the elders’ recent meeting on the health of Grace.
Homework: Each elder is to look at items 3 and 4 in the summary sheet Joe passed out (and also emailed to everyone) and send an email to all detailing which items each of us would like to work on for the remainder of the year.
Joe also shared that he has been posting on Grace’s Facebook page and has communicated with the church’s web host to find out how we can get more people on our website. Joe proposed that we invest $1,200/month on search engine optimization, an ongoing process to improve a website’s ranking in search results. The designers will also make changes to the site to ensure that it is friendlier to visitors. The elders are to read through the information he passed out so that we can make a decision next month. A billboard on Old Wake Forest Road is also being considered as a form of outreach/advertising.
4. Nominating Committee Report – The nominating committee will be meeting later this week to come up with a tentative slate of elder candidates. Committee members will then schedule interviews with candidates over the next two weeks.
5. Finance committee update from Brian and Drew – Income continues to be below budget and not keeping pace with expenses. As of August 3, the checking account balance is just over $25,000 – cash flow is an issue and will likely remain so.
The finance committee has planned a stewardship campaign for the remainder of the year. Drew will speak to the congregation this Sunday; John will join him. Each family will be asked to pray about whether they can increase giving by $50/month from now until the end of the year.
Drew reported that the Forray money market account is down $80,000 from the beginning of the year as a result of the building renovations that have been made. The remaining balance is $64,483.
To avoid using the church’s line of credit, the finance committee would like to be able to use the Forray account to remedy the cash flow issues. The hope is that the stewardship campaign will enable the balance in the account to be replenished.
Jim made a motion that the finance committee be able to reach into the Forray account up to the total balance of $64,483 as needed to remedy cash flow issues. Harris seconded. The motion was approved.
6. Personnel Committee Report – Cindy, reporting for the personnel committee, discussed a few personnel issues that did not require a vote.
Brian ended the meeting in prayer.
Elder Meeting Minutes
July 3, 2012
Elders in Attendance: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Harris Winston, Kay Gamble, Pat McInnes
Pastors in Attendance: John Ulrich, Brian Worley
- Meeting opened with devotion and prayer by Barbara Osborne.
- John led a discussion of chapters 5 and 6 of Spiritual Leadership; “Moving People on to God’s Agenda” and “A Life That Moves Others to Follow”.
Governance Transition Team:
- The final Governance Transition Team consist of: David Osborne as chair, Holly Cook, Kathy Starkey, Kay Gamble, Mariah Best, Mary Beth Brown, Brian Worley and Phil Vice who has been added to the team.
- The Governance Transition Team submitted a written progress report to the elder board. The team intends to submit a final report and their recommendations to the elders by the September meeting.
- John Ulrich suggested a “charter” be considered for each committee.
2013 Elder Nominating Committee:
- Joe Toomey reported the nomination procedures have been revised and nomination forms have been updated.
- Brian Worley gave a report on designated funds that now exist and will continue to exist. Brian also reported the finance committee’s recommendation on the following designated funds to be paid out by 12-31-12:
◦ Harris Winston moved that the funds designated to Faith Ministries/Ministerio de Fe be paid out by 9/30/12 as recommended by Kathy Starkey, representing the Mission Committee. Joe Toomey seconded the motion and all eleven elders affirmed the motion.
◦ Brian motioned that funds designated to Habitat are to be paid out in the 3rd and 4th quarters, closing on 12-31-12. Joe Toomey seconded the motion and all eleven elders affirmed the motion.
- Brian Worley motioned that the following accounting funds be rolled into other accounts as listed below and closed when funds have been distributed. Brian Worley made a motion on each account and all eleven elders affirmed all motions:
FROM: TO: MOTION SECONDED BY:
Adult Handbells Music Harris Winston
MS Handbells Middle School Kay Gamble
Library General Funds Kay Gamble
Young Adult Ministry Adult Ministries Chris Radtke
Women of Grace Adult Ministries Kathy Starkey
Hispanic Clinic Outreach Fund Joe Toomey
FROM: TO: MOTION SECONDED BY:
Men of Grace Adult Ministries Kathy Starkey
Singles Ministries Adult Ministries Kathy Starkey
Prayer Ministry General Fund Kay Gamble
Tape Ministry Outreach Fund Joe Toomey
- Brian motioned that the following accounting funds be closed and noted there were no funds in any of these accounts. Brian Worley made a motion on each account and all eleven affirmed all motions:
FUND: MOTION SECONDED BY:
Celebrate Recovery Kay Gamble
Band CD Barbara Osborne
Body & Soul Chris Radtke
Children’s Music & Art Pat McInnes
Worship Holly Cook
Children’s Missions Jim Adams
Impact 2009 Joe Toomey
Opportunity International Harris Winston
ABRO John Ulrich
Relief Fund Kathy Starkey
Designated for Sin Frontier Kay Gamble
Children’s Sunday School Barbara Osborne
Youth Special Fund Chris Radtke
Los Tres Sold Pat McInnes
Los Tres Donation Holly Cook
YCM Expenditures Jim Adams
Middle School Offering Joe Toomey
Senior High Offering Harris Winston
Sponsor a Youth John Ulrich
College Ministry Kathy Starkey
- Brian reviewed the Attendance & Giving Report for June, 2012. While June, 2012 attendance was 2.1% higher than June, 2011, Brian expressed concern over a general drop in attendance. Joe Toomey led the elders in prayer over the growth and attendance of Grace. It was noted that giving for the month of June, 2012 reflected a decline of 5.4% from June, 2011.
- Brian presented his staff report for the months of May and June. He reported that Room 123 is now freshly painted and the Atrium and hallways renovations should be completed by July 31, 2012.
- Brian reviewed the May, 2012 Summary Financial Report and moved for the board to accept the report as written. Pat McInnes seconded the motion and the motion was affirmed by the board.
2012 Elder Initiatives:
- Joe Toomey discussed the 2012 Elder Initiatives and requested elders review their initiatives of personal interest.
- Chris Radtke reported that she and Barbara Osborne have been meeting to develop their initiative of “Congregational Mentoring in the Gospel”, and have identified four additional women to join in the leadership of this initiative.
Senior Pastor Report:
- John Ulrich discussed concerns related to managing his time and responsibilities. It was recommended that in the future, requests for pre-martial counseling, marriages, and funerals be presented in advance to the elder board for approval before the pastor commits to performing such services. This recommendation was motioned by Joe Toomey and seconded by Jim Adams. The motion was affirmed by the board.
- John Ulrich announced there will be a staff/elder gathering on August 14, 2012 to worship and pray together, share a meal, and provide an opportunity for staff to present their plans for the upcoming year.
- The next “Elder Shepherding” meeting will be at Grace on July 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM. The meal will be provided by Kelley Ulrich.
- John Ulrich lead a discussion on “baptism” with regards to recognition of baptism as an infant and re-baptism as an adult. Jim Adams and Harris Winston volunteered to research scriptural references and other material for a later discussion by the board.
- John Ulrich reported adult discipleship in various, on-going adult Bible studies and planned future adult Bible studies are progressing well. However, John expressed concerns over the growth of the church. Discussion on various factors related to church growth were started. Due to the complexity of this issue and time needed to continue the discussion, Kay Gamble recommended this matter be tabled for further discussion at a separate meeting. A meeting for further discussion regarding church growth was scheduled for July 9, 2012 at 7:00 PM.
- John Ulrich gave update on personnel.
- Joe Toomey presented the board with an update. One motion as recommended by the personnel committee was made by Harris Winston, seconded by Pat McInnes and affirmed by vote of the board.
Pat McInnes closed the meeting in prayer.
July 9, 2012
July Elders Meeting (Continued)
A discussion on July 3, 2012, related to church growth, was tabled for further discussion and rescheduled for July 9, 2012.
Elders in Attendance: Holly Cook, Pat McInnes, Kathy Starkey, Chris Radtke, Harris Winston, Barbara Osborne, Joe Toomey, Kay Gamble
Pastors in Atendance: John Ulrich
Opening Prayer: Chris Radtke
- Joe Toomey provided a historical overview of attendance.
- The elders discussed the health of the church and identified challenges for church growth.
- The elders observed a time of prayer as a group.
- Joe Toomey shared Bible verses from John 15:1-8.
- The elders shared their ideas related to church growth, small group culture, and congregational care.
- John Ulrich closed the meeting in prayer.
Next meeting: Regular meeting: August 7, 2012 at 7:00 PM.
Elder Meeting Minutes
June 5, 2012
Elders in Attendance: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Harris Winston
Pastors in Attendance: John Ulrich, Brian Worley
Devotion: Meeting opened with devotion and prayer by Kathy Starkey.
Shepherding: John led a discussion of chapters 3 and 4 of Spiritual Leadership. How are we discerning God’s goals and God’s resources for Grace?
Governance Transition Team: Holly Cook reported that she, Kathy Starkey, and Brian Worley have identified and interviewed candidates for the remaining seven or eight positions of the governance transition committee. The board affirmed the at large members that were presented. The entire committee will be: David Osborne as chair, Holly Cook, Kathy Starkey, Mariah Best, Mary Beth Brown, and Kay Gamble (as time permits), and Brian Worley. There are two others who are in consideration and prayer for direction with either one or both joining the committee. The first meeting of the entire team will be Sunday June 10.
2013 Elder Nominating Committee: Joe Toomey reported that the committee met following the congregational approval vote. They discussed timelines and process, noting the critical nature of choosing the right people. He reported that the committee was excited to proceed and will present a written process to be approved by the board by email prior to the next scheduled board meeting, citing a tight timeframe toward a final elder vote on September 9 or 16. The next committee meeting will be in two weeks.
Finance Committee: Brian Worley reported that the finance committee continues to grow and bond as a team each month. Three goals were identified with the theme of “Gracefully generous” (2 Cor 8:9). The goals are: monthly stewardship highlights to be presented to the congregation with Mark Cates developing scripts for each month (June will highlight online giving), solicitation of pledges for three areas with education of the congregation for pledging, and collaboration with the governance transition team to develop and define four responsibilities of the committee (stewardship, long range planning, capital giving, and finance). Brian reported that income exceeds expenses for the month of April as well as year to date; however, spending will increase during the last six months with respect to rent (we received rent concession for February – May with our lease renewal) and staff increases. Aggregate attendance records show that we have approximately 30 less in attendance at this time. John Ulrich led the board in prayer.
Personnel Committee: Cindy Hays presented the board with an update. Two motions as recommended by the personnel committee were made by Harris Winston, seconded by Joe Toomey and affirmed by vote of the board.
Joe Toomey led the board in prayer for the staff.
Other Reports: Discussion around consolidating worship to one service for the summer was tabled to later discussion and possible consideration at a later date. John Ulrich led a discussion of worship at Grace.
Next meeting: Regular meeting: Tuesday July 3 at 7PM.
Shepherding meeting: Tuesday July 17 at 6:30, home of Jim Adams
Brian Worley closed the meeting in prayer.
Elder Meeting Minutes
May 1, 2012
Elders in Attendance:
Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Kay Gamble, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Harris Winston
Pastors in Attendance:
John Ulrich, Brian Worley
2013 Elder Nominating Committee
A list of people was developed, for membership on the 2012 Nominating Committee. Those who agree to be members of the Nominating Committee will be ineligible to be nominated as an Elder.
Timeline: Congregational Vote & Meeting on May 20th, Nominating Committee vote will be held on June 3rd. Both need to be announced at least 2 weeks ahead of time. It was suggested that the Nominating Committee vote be held between the 9:15 and 11:00 services.
Congregational Care Ministry
Brian explained that this ministry would focus on how we put systems together that will allow the leadership and the people of Grace to communicate, and to connect? Many in the leadership feel a bit “blind” regarding the opinions and needs of the church. Brian laid out the basic concepts for this area and work will begin in early August.
Governance Project Update
We need 426 total “yes” votes to pass the proposed changes to the Elder structure. We currently are short by only 43 “yes” votes.
Transition Committee members will be proposed by the current team of Holly, Brian, Kathy. The desired number of members is 8, and they will be quite active through the end of December 2012. It was agreed that the team could proceed, and talk to the indentified individuals. The team needs people who understand organizational structure, as well as those who can think and produce materials on a detailed level.
Complete Elder Ballot discussion
At the last meeting, we discussed the idea of changing our Elder ballot from a vote for the whole slate of nominated Elders to votes for individual nominees. The by-laws stipulate that a paper ballot must be provided, if a request is made for this.
Motion – Use paper ballots, with names of individuals recommended by the Nominating Committee to be Elders starting in 2013, where the congregant can vote for entire slate of nominees or for each individual with a “yes” or “no” vote. The motion was and passed by voice vote.
John shared his thoughts and concerns on whether or not to talk about the marriage amendment from the pulpit. He heard the input from the Elders and asked for prayers from all on the handling of this issue on Sunday.
Report was sent to all by email, and was not discussed due to lack of time.
The committee made a full recommendation to the Board that encompasses 2012-2013 budgets for Operating Expenses, Missions and developing a reserve Capital Fund. This fund would be used for our eventual move from our current location. The Finance Committee believes that it is important to start a reserve fund now.
Motion – To approach the congregation about adding a line item of $25,000 as a discretionary reserve fund to the 2012 budget. The motion was seconded and approved by voice vote.
Both Clark and Katie have accepted their job offers.
The Appalachian Service Project had 2 very successful trips.
We recently completed a new member class, which included younger families.
The Congregational Care surveys are still being collected.
Some Adult Discipleship activities are proceeding well – Ladies Bible Study, Big Picture class will be offered again in the Fall. John has some concerns about the Stephen’s Ministry, and the loss of the recent resignation of the coordinator after many years of service.
Reminder of our next Elder Shepherding meeting on May 15th at Jim Adam’s house. Read the first 2 chapters of Matt Redman’s Facedown.
Minutes are respectfully submitted,
Elder Meeting Minutes – April 3, 2012
Attendees: Barbara Osborne, Harris Winston, Brian Worley, Jim Adams, John Ulrich, Drew Turner, Chris Radtke, Joe Toomey, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Kathy Starkey and Kay Gamble (via phone)
Shepherding: To continue with our goal to become a more shepherding elder board, John would like the elders to begin having shepherding meetings the 3rd Tuesday every other month starting in May. To aid us in these meetings we were asked to read “Face Down” by Matt Redman. We will cover 2 chapters at a time during each meeting. The dates and “themes” for these meetings will be: May 15 (Music), July 17 (Art & Liturgy), Sept. 18 (Nature) and November 13 (Silence). In addition to reading Face Down, we will also read “Spiritual Leadership” by Henry and Richard Blackaby. This book will help us prepare to get the right people in leadership going into 2013. Discussions regarding this book will also be covered 2 chapters at a time during our monthly Elder meetings.
Governance Transition: It was agreed that the nominating team needs to nominate people who will listen to God and respond to His desires. This will be important for any Elder Board but particularly with the new Elder Board if the Governance Project gets approved.
It is important that the nominating committee is formed now so we can begin shepherding them, pray with and for them and give them appropriate time to find elders to nominate for 2013. We also agreed we wanted to give the congregation more time to get to know the nominees. Discussions were had about who should be on the nominating committee. We agreed to start with last year’s nominating committee (they are still seated) and add a current elder plus one at-large member. We need to consider that some of the sitting nominating committee might be asked to step down so that they could be asked to serve as elders in 2013. We were reminded that the congregation has to vote on the nominating committee.
We will pray for the current sitting nominating committee members to discern whether they would stay on the committee or drop off to be considered for the 2013 Elder Board.
Elder Election Balloting: There was a lot of discussion on whether we would allow the congregation to add a name to the ballot on Election Day. The final decision was that we needed to remind the congregation that there is a process for nominating elders for the ballot. History has shown that typically the congregation does not speak up so the nominees come from the nominating committee. When the process starts, they can nominate individuals to the committee so they should take advantage if they have suggestions. In addition, once the nominee list is announced, they have the right to raise concerns over nominees. Because the congregation has a right to nominate and raise concerns prior to Election Day, the meeting to elect elders is a formality based on the church by-laws.
To help the congregation get to know the nominated elders better, we did discuss having the nominees go before the congregation and speak.
We are also praying over the decision whether to have the congregation vote on a full slate of elders or have them vote on each individual. There will be further discussion on this point in future Elder meetings.
Marriage Amendment: The Elder Board discussed the concerns that have been brought to us from a couple of congregational members in regards to the Marriage Amendment which is on the NC state election ballot on May 8th. We agreed to study scripture and pray but that this was not an issue that would be addressed from the pulpit.
Facilities: Discussions were had about whether we should have a capital campaign to raise $ so that we have the ability to make decisions about our building and wouldn’t necessarily be tied to staying at our current space forever. No final decision made. More conversations will take place in future meetings.
Stewardship Campaign: Brief discussion on having a stewardship campaign. More details and timing of campaign will be had at future meetings.
Prayer: As with each meeting, we remind each other to continually pray for the current and future Elders.
Elder Meeting 3-6-12
Attending the meeting were: Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Kay Gamble, Cindy Hays, Pat McInnes, Chris Radtke, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Brian Worley
The meeting started with a devotion and prayer from Holly.
A discussion of the elder governance project followed, with an update on communication to the congregation, the town hall meetings taking place next week and the upcoming congregational vote in April or May on the proposed changes to the bylaws.
Joe moved to remove from the roll those church members who have requested to be dismissed. Cindy seconded the motion. The board voted and the motion passed.
A discussion followed about questions on governance that have been raised to date. Concerns were voiced about the prospect of a smaller elder board and the mechanics of how the new board will work.
Kay will form a committee within two weeks that will work to define the new organizational structure that would be most effective if the bylaw changes are approved. Kathy and Holly will be part of the committee.
Doug Bergeson has worked over the last few months reading through Grace’s bylaws with an eye to inconsistencies and corrections that should be made. The elders will read through Doug’s suggested changes after the meeting and email in whether they agree. If these changes are approved, a second vote on these minor bylaw changes that Doug has recommended will be conducted at the same time as the primary vote on the substantive bylaw changes
Brian went over the transition plan that the governance team created last year. He explained that from the staff’s point of view, the lengthiness of decision-making and mechanism for decisions has become exhausting. The proposed governance structure will streamline governance so that the elders will be able to get back to what they are called to do. Brian clarified that the structure for the new governance is already in place – the major change will be pulling elders out of the structure and replacing them with church members so that elders can devote more time to spiritual leadership.
- Among the concepts that elders would be able to focus on more will be shepherding. What does it mean? Also, how much will the elders need to know about the minute details of finance? Once the budget is approved each year, finance and personnel issues should be able to move down on the agenda.
- The new nominating committee will be formed in July. Assuming the bylaw changes are approved by the congregation, this nominating committee will be very important. The elders may want to appoint the nominating committee right after the vote to give the committee plenty of time to find elder candidates.
Holly, on behalf of the governance communications committee, opened discussion of certain bylaws that could be affected by the proposed bylaw changes.
- The elders decided to leave as is the wording of Article IV, Section 4, dealing with removal of elders.
- The elders decided to leave as is the wording of Article III, Section 2, dealing with annual meetings.
- Discussion of Article VII, Sections 1 and 3, dealing with procedures for calling pastors and removing pastors, was tabled to enable the meeting to move on. Some believed that with a smaller elder board, 3/4 (rather than the current 2/3) of the elders should be required to vote affirmatively to call or remove a pastor. The discussion was completed via email; the final decision was to leave as is the wording of Article VII, Sections 1 and 3.
The elders all agreed that the bylaws should be posted on the Grace website.
Joe reopened the decision to replace Todd Boersma on the elder board for the remainder of 2012, based on a re-evaluation of the bylaws, which state that “in the event of any vacancy on the board of elders, the nominating committee may nominate one or more persons to fill such vacancy…” Drew moved to hold the elder board at 11 elders; Harris seconded. The board voted and the motion passed.
Drew, reporting for the finance committee, announced that the committee unanimously approved the spending budget recommended by the elders. Drew moved for the elders to approve the spending budget for 2012; Joe seconded. The board voted and the motion passed.
- Drew moved to approve the pastors’ housing allowances for 2012; Joe seconded. The board voted and the motion passed.
- Drew moved to approve a 4% match for staff who save 8% of their salary in the 401K plan. Cindy seconded the motion. The board voted and the motion passed.
- The finance committee will flesh out a stewardship campaign to present to the congregation. The goal is to have the plan compete by the next finance committee meeting on March 19.
Brian emailed staff reports to the elders before the meeting. He also emailed the attendance and giving report –attendance this year is close to what it was last year – an average of 480 per week. Giving averaged $19,000/week for the first 10 weeks of the year.
Pat encouraged all elders to join the worship team in prayer this Sunday at 9am in Brian’s office.
Brian and John reported that the staff retreat went very well, and that the time was spent talking, praying, affirming and confessing. They are encouraged by the sense of unity among staff members.
The meeting concluded with a prayer from Pat.
Elder Board Meeting Minutes – February 7, 2012
In Attendance: Murry Haber, Barbara Osborne, Drew Turner, Holly Cook, Brian Worley, Cindy Hays, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, John Ulrich, Harris Winston, Jim Adams, Todd Boersma
The meeting was opened with a devotional and prayer by Todd Boersma followed by a time of prayer for Andy Delbridge and his family.
Pastor John instructed elders regarding a journaling assignment designed to capture our thoughts, feelings and prayers on the worship experience at Grace. The elders were asked to be praying for the upcoming series John will be preaching on forgiveness. John also led us in prayer for Pastor Andrew Nino and our sister church.
Joe Toomey reviewed and elders discussed the proposed Elder Initiatives for 2012. Elders took an action to pray about the initiatives they would like to lead and/or participate in and will contact Joe to let him know which of these areas they have an interest in. We will refine and finalize our 2012 Initiatives based on this feedback. Joe also reviewed elder responsibilities including liaison assignments and communion duties. Pastor Brian explained that Ginger’s new role will allow for better awareness and communication of special circumstances impacting communion needs in the future.
January 10 and 24 meeting minutes were approved.
Drew Turner and Pastor Brian presented two alternative budgets for the board’s consideration which have been prepared by the finance committee. Elders were asked to send any budget questions or comments to Drew and Brian before the next meeting. In the meantime, we have been instructed to be in prayer about the budget and to listen for God’s direction. We will vote on the 2012 budget at the February 21 meeting.
Brian reported on the Governance Project-Communication Committee. Joe shared that Tony Voiers and Michelle Starbuck have agreed to co-chair this committee and will be forming their team shortly to move forward with communication plans.
Cindy Hays reported on personnel. She shared that an offer has been made to a potential staffer in youth ministry. The latest possible decision timetable is March 31.
The missions team has been active and the scope of upcoming events for the first half of the year was presented by Kathy Starkey.
John and Brian presented their pastor’s reports. An action item coming out of this report is that Cindy Hays will coordinate an opportunity for the staff to spend some time with the new board.
The meeting closed in prayer.
Elder Meeting Minutes – January 24, 2012
John Ulrich, Murry Haber, Brian Worley, Todd Boersma, Kay Gamble, Pat McInnes, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, and Harris Winston attended the elder meeting.
Following dinner John led a discussion regarding shepherding meetings and spiritual formation ideas: reading a good book to better understand what worship is, journaling our thoughts and experiences regarding personal and church worship, sharing worship moments, praying for our corporate worship.
- Brian Worley facilitated a discussion of some of the popular elder initiatives/objectives and what those mean to the elders.
- Brian led a discussion of a review of last year’s finances (Income Statement) providing insights to both giving and line item expenses. This discussion was concluded with the presentation of a rough draft of three 2012 potential budgets. The Finance Committee will further refine the budget for presentation at the February 7 meeting. Drew Turner offered insights and shared some of the discussions had by the Finance Committee in regards to the budget.
The meeting was concluded in prayer.
Elder Board Meeting Minutes – December 6, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, John Ulrich, Brian Worley, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green,
Joe Toomey, Kathy Starkey, Jim Salisbury, Drew Turner, Mark Cates, Todd Boersma,
Murry Haber, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Chris Radtke, Cindy Hayes, Barbara Osborne,
Holly Cook, Jim Adams, Harris Winston
We enjoyed a meal together at 6:15. Drew Turner shared a devotional and prayed.
We discussed a couple of questions in pairs, and as a group, talked about In the Name
of Jesus and God places. We moved to the sanctuary and placed stones on the alter in celebration of the places where God showed up. Pat led the group in a prayer to thank the Lord for what he does in our lives – his abundant blessing.
We retreated to our meeting room where we discussed the governance issues and
bylaw changes. Thanks were expressed to all of those who worked so hard on this
project. We discussed the pros and cons of the changes and noted that the mechanics
of implementation will be long and challenging. John and Bryan both spoke from their
viewpoints. Chris Latta moved that the bylaws be adopted. Michelle seconded the
motion. A vote was taken and the motion passed.
We reviewed a list of 114 names of individuals who have either advised that they have
left the church or who have not attended for more than a year. Chris Latta moved that
these names be removed from the membership rolls. Joe seconded the motion. A vote
was taken and the vote passed.
Drew made a motion that Tom Proctor continue for another year as treasurer of the
church. Joe seconded the motion. A vote was taken and the motion passed.
Chris made a motion, seconded by Joe that Sherry Gupton, Karen Latta and Joe
Toomey continue in their roles next year as president, secretary and assistant secretary
respectively. A vote was taken and the motion passed.
The group took a break
Michelle reviewed personnel issues including the addition of three new positions. After
much discussion, Michelle made a motion, seconded by Mary, that pending availability
of finances that Clark Rinehart be hired as High School Director. A vote was taken and
the motion passed.
Michelle made an additional motion, seconded by Mary, that pending availability of
finances that Katie Hemp be hired as Middle School Director. A vote was taken and the
Michelle made a third motion, seconded by Joe, that pending availability of finances that
Katie Henry be hired as Associate Director of Worship and Music. A vote was taken and
the motion passed.
It is anticipated that the finance committee will meet in advance of the next elder
meeting so that a recommendation on finances could be made at that time.
Brian reviewed the finances and noted that we need $175,000 to finish the year. He
noted that this is basically the same place we have been each of the past three years.
A determination was made to give the money collected on Christmas Eve to the pastor’s
Mark prayed for finances for the remainder of the year. It was noted that by the end of
the year, missions will have given away more than $100,000.
John will introduce new members of the church this week. He touched on the issue of
what God is doing with Grace and that we should always be working toward
The next meeting will be on January 10th at 6:15 and will begin with a meal.
The meeting was adjourned with prayer and thanksgiving for the class of 2012.
Elder Board Meeting Minutes for Nov. 1, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, John Ulrich, Brian Worley, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green, Joe Toomey, Kathy Starkey, Jim Salisbury, Drew Turner, Mark Cates, Todd Boersma, Murry Haber, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Kay Gamble, Chris Radtke, Cindy Hayes, Barbara Osborne, Holly Cook, Jim Adams, Harris Winston
- The elders, pastors and elders elect shared a meal graciously prepared by resting elder Alicia Ross.
- Joe Toomey presented a devotion and led the elders in a time of prayer for Grace.
- John Ulrich discussed several exciting developments at Grace, including the teamwork involved in the staff’s preparation for our Advent series “What’s in a Name?” and the New Members’ class to be held November 13th and 20th. Incoming elder education is continuing (Oct-Dec prior to elder meeting)
- The elders reviewed proposed by-law and policy changes from the governance project. Questions were raised during the discussion and clarifications were discussed around annual elder term renewals, elder removal and term length when appointments happen mid-year. The governance project team was asked to write up the newly clarified proposals and circulate to the elders for mid-month review. All elders are expected to have read the newly revised proposal and are encouraged to raise any additional questions via e-mail prior to the December elder’s meeting.
- Brian Worley presented updated information on finances, attendance and giving. Giving remains below budget and November/December are critical months for Grace’s fiscal health.
- Michelle Starbuck brought three proposals from the personnel committee, each of which was voted on and passed with no dissenting nor abstaining votes:
- An amendment to the current Continuing Education Policy to include a section specifically for full time employees seeking a degree for ordination.
- A new policy to be placed in Grace’s Church Policy Manual under the section of Pastors specifying Grace’s policy for Locally Licensed Pastors
- Nominating Cindy Hays to serve as Chair of Personnel Committee for 2012.
- Brian Worley presented an outline for Congregational Care Ministry at Grace. The purpose of this ministry is to provide relational care for all people participating in the ministries of Grace, and it will focus on caregivers fostering loving & caring relationships with people in the Grace community. Brian and John will continue to work on the details of this program.
- An end-of-year elder get together will be held at the Starbucks’ home on Friday December 9th. Details to follow via e-mail.
- Communion will be celebrated on November 6th. Next month’s communion will be celebrated on December 11th.
- The next elder meeting will be on Tuesday December 6th at 6:15 (elders elect will meet with John for training at 5:15).
- The meeting was adjourned at 9:30 (??)
Respectfully submitted by Joe Toomey
Elder Board Minutes – October 4, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, Mary Greene, Kathy Starkey, Michelle Starbuck, Joe Toomey, Jim Salisbury, Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Drew Turner,
Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma, Brian Worley, John Ulrich, and Murry Haber
Also attending were newly elected elders: Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Chris Radtke, Jim Adams
Dinner was at 6:15 pm. Devotion and opening prayer by Kathy Starkey followed by community prayer led by John.
Chris Latta called the Board meeting to order at 7:00 pm
Elder Governance Project: Tony Voiers
- Tony Voiers led a presentation on behalf of the Governance Project Team including a review of the prior meeting presentation and points of discussion raised through elder feedback. A proposed governance structure and a proposed implementation plan, including a comprehensive communication plan, were introduced and explained.
- Chris Latta moved that this board support moving this governance initiative forward and that the board take the initiative to the resting elders. The motion was seconded by Drew Turner and passed by unanimous vote.
- Chris Latta scheduled a meeting on Sunday October 16, 2011 at 5:00 PM for the Governance initiative to be presented to Grace’s resting elders. All sitting elders and newly elected elders will also be in attendance.
Finance: Mark Cates & Brian Worley
– Brian reviewed September and YTD attendance and budget to actual income and expenditures. Although Grace is at one of the best financial positions of its history, he advised that income and expenditures should be closely monitored through the fourth quarter. Suggestions and discussions on communicating the financial needs to the congregation followed.
-There was a group prayer time for God’s guidance of Grace’s financial stewardship.
-Brian updated the board on the progress of the atrium renovations and decorating options.
-The board approved the letter to the congregation with updates on facilities improvements that was distributed to the board earlier in the week by Chris Latta.
-Chris requested volunteers from the board to work with Doug Bergeson to finalize the policy updates. Kay Gamble and Cindy Hays came forward.
-Elders from the outgoing class (2011) have been paired with the incoming class (2013) as prayer partners and mentors as follows:
Michelle Starbuck Cindy Hays
Mark Cates Jim Adams
Mary Mason Chris Radtke
Mary Green Barbara Osborn
Jim Salisbury Holly Cook
Chris Latta Harris Winston
Moderator for 2012: Chris Latta
. Chris Latta moved to select Joe Toomey as moderator for the calendar year 2012. Pat McInnes seconded the motion. It passed by unanimous vote.
Senior Pastor Moment: John Ulrich
- John asked the elders to be in prayer for the pastor’s small group selection. He requested that the board be ready to receive and approve list of names when submitted and he asked that his organizational issues take immediate priority along with vision discernment and development. The board agreed.
Next regular Board meeting is November 1, 2011.
Murry Haber closed the meeting in prayer.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 pm
Minutes of the Annual Congregational Meeting – Sunday, September 25, 2011
Mark Cates, elder, called the meeting to order at 9:15 am as there was a quorum (10%) of the membership present.
The purpose of the meeting was stated: for the membership to elect a new group of six elders, each of whom will serve a two year term beginning on January 1, 2012.
The following slate of candidates approved and recommended by the nominating committee and the board of elders was presented to the membership (each stood as their name was read): Jim Adams, Holly Cook, Cindy Hays, Barbara Osborne, Chris Radtke, Harris Winston.
A motion was made and seconded to approve the slate as presented. A vote via raised hands was taken and all approved with no votes opposed. According to the by-laws and policies of the church, Mark declared the slate of nominees approved. A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The meeting was closed with prayer at 9:20 am.
Elder Board Minutes – September 6, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, Mary Greene, Kathy Starkey, Michelle Starbuck, Joe Toomey, Jim Salisbury, Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Drew Turner,
Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma, Brian Worley, John Ulrich, and Murry Haber
Dinner was at 6:15 pm. John led discussion on Elders’ prayers for Grace.
Devotion and opening prayer by Michelle Starbuck.
Chris Latta called the Board meeting to order at 7:00 pm
August Elder Board Minutes were approved.
Personnel: Michelle Starbuck
- Motion was made to amend the Personnel Committee Policy, with two main changes. 1. Add Executive Pastor to membership, and 2. Add a section on support of Senior Pastor by committee. Motion passed.
- Personnel presented the full agreement and plan for Chris Sasser to pursue his MA in Christian Leadership.
- Motion was made for the Ministers Discretionary Fund, which currently houses funds for both continuing education of the staff and benevolence, to be split into two separate funds. Motion passed.
- Staff Appreciation will be the month of October.
Finance: Mark Cates & Brian Worley – Brian reviewed August attendance and giving numbers, and year to date budget. - Motion was made for full funding of the first phases of the up fit projects to the facilities, which were presented at the August 2, 2011 elder meeting. Motion passed. – Brian’s role as Executive Pastor will include Finance Director. – Motion was made to immediately appoint Kathy Starkey to receive the church’s bank statements, sealed and unopened. Kathy would perform bank statement reconciliation each month till January 2012, and would perform the end of year bank statement reconciliation. This recommendation is in alignment with best practices in accounting. – Brian is reviewing with the staff, the policy of reporting credit card receipts for reimbursable expenses as required by the IRS. - The installation of on-line giving is continuing, but not ready at this time for congregational use.
Slate of Elders for the 2012-2013 Class: Chris Latta The slate of the new class of elders was presented to the Board from the nominating committee. Slate was approved, and will be brought to the congregation for their vote of approval on September 25.
Worship/Music: Chris Latta & John Ulrich
- September 25, John’s message will be from James 5:15-20 (the prayer of faith). Elders will be available to pray with members and visitors after each service.
- October 2, World Communion Sunday will be observed with communion served at tables in Grace Hall. Also, the Mexico Mission Team will be commissioned.
- A congregant’s concern on the music position at Grace and where it stands now was shared. An elder will follow up with the congregant with fuller explanation.
- John asked the elders to be in prayer for worship at Grace, the Wednesday morning worship planning team, and for one heart of worship at Grace.
Elder Governance Project: Chris Latta
- The Elder Model review committee reported their findings to the Board on August 29.
- Discussion was lead on where each elder stands on the initiative, and questions about going forward. The Board’s consensus was that we will continue to move forward with this initiative.
The elders will meet for dinner and a shepherding meeting led by John on Sept 13 at the home of Mark Cates.
Kay Gamble and Jim Salisbury will write a letter to the congregation on behalf of the Board addressing the current lease agreement, the facility up fit projects, and give an update on the position of interim worship leader.
Next Board meeting is October 4
Pat closed the meeting in prayer.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:20 pm
Elder Minutes, Aug. 2, 2011 Elder Meeting
In attendance: Chris Latta, John Ulrich, Brian Worley, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green, Joe Toomey, Kathy Starkey, Jim Salisbury, Drew Turner, Mark Cates,Todd Boersma and Murry Haber. Absent: Mary Mason, Pat McInnes and Kay Gamble.
Members of the accounting firm of Thomas, Judy and Tucker, P.A. presented their report on the audit for the 2010 year. Report was good with a couple recommendations made.
Time was shared with members going over their Prayer Journals.
Jim Salisbury presented the Devotion and led the Elders in a time of Prayer for Grace, the nominations of Elders and the Nomination committee as they begin reviewing the nominees.
Tony Voiers and D. J. Hill presented Phase 2 of the Governance project and findings of the committee. Discussion centered around term limits. A time schedule was presented by Tony to consider as well as their recommendation to consider spiritual leadership model over a governance one. Additional dialogue to come along with a special call meeting to discuss further.
John Ulrich presented his report and activity level as well as areas the Elders can be in Prayer for him. Major concern for John was visitors and how they can be intermixed with the congregation. After discussion over concerns of Assimilation lead by Joe Toomey, Joe was appointed to be a part of an Elder lead committee to look into ways Grace can best assimilate new guest and potential members into our Grace Community.
Michelle discussed Chris Sasser’s interest in pursuing a Masters in Art and Leadership. Most of the two year program through Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary out of Charlotte will be on line education with some class room time. Personnel will be reviewing the need to establish a policy for Continuing education and what it would look like.
Brian presented the June and July financial report.
Brian presented a 5 phase construction schedule to process facilities improvements with the funds made available from the recent lease negotiations. Phase one and two was place on first priority. Discussion developed on when to start the projects. After much discussion, it was decided to allow time for Mark to present to the Finance committee and bring to a possible vote of Elders by August 19th.
Chris discussed the nomination process and presented a timetable to work from.
Next schedule meeting is set for September 6 at 6:15 with an addition meeting to be scheduled that will be set at a later date.
Brian Worley closed the meeting in Prayer.
Meeting adjourned at 10:30.
Respectfully submitted by Jim Salisbury
Elder Board Minutes July 12, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, Kathy Starkey, Michelle Starbuck, Joe Toomey, Jim Salisbury, Pat McInnes, Drew Turner, Brian Worley, Mary Greene, Mark Cates, Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma
Absent: Murry Haber, Mary Mason
Mary and Alec Shapre presented information about the course “Sonship” that will run Aug-Dec.
Chris Latta called the Board meeting to order at 7:00 followed by a devotion and prayer by Pat McInnes.
June 28, 2011 elder board minutes were approved.
Drew Turner announced that Grace is now set up for electronic giving at gracecommchurchmycharitybox.com
A motion was approved to include Barb Sibley on the Elder Nominating team and to withdraw the name of Holly Cook who cannot serve at this time.
Chris led a discussion of the elder nominating process and the effects of changes for the congregation as we move to ‘called’ elders.
John led us in prayer for this process.
The board approved the following changes to the Nominating form:
1). Information and description of the position of elder
2).Addition of 2 questions:
Why are you nominating this person?
Does the person know of your nomination?
The board approved an application form asking the following of the nominee:
1) Share your faith journey.
2) Why do you feel called to be an elder at Grace at this time?
Communication and education about the position of elder and the ‘calling’ of elders will be important for the congregation.
Brian Worley, Tom Proctor, and Steve Brown presented the details and financials of 3 lease options for Grace followed by questions and discussion.
The board granted permission for the lease team of Mark Cates, Tom Proctor& Brian Worley to negotiate option 1 with these recommendations:
Change the 50 month term to 52 ( thru June 2016)
Asking for a 1 year option rather than 3
Asking for a 4 month credit instead of 2 months base credit.
The moneys saved in this option would go toward tenant improvement.
Brian Worley presented where we are in our current budget in light of ‘designated gifts’.
Next Board meeting: August 2, 2011 at 6:15
Mary Greene closed the meeting in prayer.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:35.
Elder Board Minutes June 28, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, Kathy Starkey, Michelle Starbuck, Joe Toomey, Jim Salisbury, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Drew Turner, Brian Worley, and John Ulrich
Absent: Murry Haber, Mary Greene, Mark Cates, Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma
Chris Latta called the Board meeting to order at 7:00 pm.
Meeting was opened in prayer.
June 7, 2011 elder board minutes were approved.
A motion was made and passed to amend the start date of additional financial support for John Ulrich from August 1, 2011 to July 1, 2011.
The finance committee is continuing talks with the building lease company to get best options for new contract that will be signed by September 1, 2011. They will present all finding at the next Board meeting. They are also looking into the feasibility of setting up electronic giving for the church, and hope to make a recommendation to the Board after researching options.
- Adult discipleship team is planning for fall studies. Summer studies are currently under way.
- First Impressions Team sees need for assimilation for visitors and new members. They are working on a roll out program for the fall to improving welcoming environment.
- Mission Team continues to offer opportunities for members to be involved in mission work, and continues funding of several outreach projects and organizations. August 13th will be a Back to School Block Party designed to reach school children in the community around the church.
A slate of 8 GCC members for the nominating committee, consisting of sitting and resting elders, was approved, and will be presented to the congregation for approval in July.
Elder nominations for the next elder class will begin July 31, 2011 and close August 15, 2011. All applicants will be required to fill out an application.
Next Board meeting - July 12th at 6:15.
John closed the meeting in prayer, and the meeting was adjourned at 8:50 pm.
Respectfully Submitted, Michelle Starbuck
Elder meeting minutes for June 7, 2011
Tony Voiers and Asa Rogerson reported from the Governance Project; updating the board on their progress as they research Biblical models for our church leadership and by laws. This was discussed during dinner.
The formal meeting then began at 7:20 with a devotional and prayer by elder Mary Mason.
The elder minutes from the May meeting were approved.
Next we discussed the selection of the nominating committee. This group will review and suggest nominations for the selection of the 2013 class of elders to be presented to the congregation for fall approval. Chris Latta stated that prior leadership and involvement at Grace Community Church will be added to the application. Anyone elders wishing to serve on the selection committee are asked to let Chris Latta know via email.
The personnel team presented a proposal to reinstate the 401K plan for our staff. This proposal had been previously discussed and approved by the finance and personnel teams. This is a 3/6 plan with the church matching 3% of an employee’s contribution with up to 6% of their salary. The elders passed the motion to implement this proposal. It will only encompass the year 2011 and will need to be approved again to continue after 2011. (The 401K plan for employees had previously been set aside because of the budget shortfalls.)
Brian Worley led the board in a discussion of the present building facility and the lease negotiations that have been ongoing. We discussed the details of the present lease and the possibilities of various new lease details. The board decided to renew this conversation in the fall.
John discussed the upcoming elder training to be held June 14th in someone’s home.
The meeting closed in prayer at 10:05 pm.
The next elder board meeting will be held Tuesday, June 28th at 7 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Mary Mason, elder.
Elder Board Minutes May 3, 2011
In attendance: Chris Latta, Mary Greene, Kathy Starkey, Michelle Starbuck, Joe Toomey, Jim Salisbury, Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Drew Turner, Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma, Brian Worley, John Ulrich. Absent: Murry Haber
Elder dinner at 6:15 pm. John led discussion on Elder Shepherding.
Chris Latta called the Board meeting to order at 7:00 pm
Devotion and opening prayer by Chris Latta
April Elder Board Minutes approved (via prior email)
Personnel: Joe Toomey
- Housing Allowance designation for John Ulrich was approved.
- Consideration to reinstate the matching funds of the staff 401K plan was brought up for consideration. Full proposal will be brought up at June Board meeting.
- A motion was made to recommend that Chris Sasser be a Local Licensed Pastor for Grace Community Church with the understanding that he will be able to present a couple for marriage and to represent Grace Community Church and the State of North Carolina in the Marriage Ceremony. Motion was approved.
Finance: Mark Cates
- First quarter report was given. Highlights include: Year to date giving is 21.9% over budget and 19.6% more than first quarter 2010; Weekly average attendance is 513.
Prayer for church’s finance, our staff and the transition of the Ulrich family to Raleigh.
Update on 2011 Leadership Initiatives: John Ulrich
- Ulrich family will move to Raleigh by end of May after Elizabeth and Calvin complete school year, house to sell in Kansas and looking for home in Raleigh – PSC will present “Lessons Learned” from search process this summer – In addition to regular board meetings, the Elders will begin to meet quarterly for a time of community building - Elders to begin praying and discerning who will chair Board, Finance and Personnel committees for 2012 - First Impression Team welcoming visitors and directing members on Sunday mornings in the atrium – Katie Henry and Ginger Phillips working on fuller and more efficient communications at Grace – Elder governance project initial findings will be presented at June board meeting – Reconciliation process of Craig Holiday to congregation is currently on hold by his request.
Prayer for Craig Holiday, Rhett Holiday and their family.
Missions Team: Kathy Starkey
- Continued praise that Grace’s mission team’s projects are being fully funded and supported by the congregation of Grace. Since the first of the year many opportunities have been made available for people to get involved with mission work in the community. – Currently working with Centro Internacional de Raleigh to see about adopting a family that lost everything in the April tornado. - Saturday, May 21 will be Grace’s Great Day of Service 2011 – Reynosa, Mexico adult construction mission trip scheduled for Oct. 8-15 - 5K Grace Race to raise funds for missions is scheduled for Feb 12, 2012
Prayer for Missions
Elder Liaison Reports of Staff were given
Prayer for Staff
May 22 children’s choir will present “The Lighthouse Fire Station” during Sunday worship.
Next Board meeting June 7th
John closed the meeting in prayer.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:00 pm
Elder Meeting Notes April 5, 2011
March meeting minutes have been approved (via email confirmation)
First Impressions Team update
- Have welcomed a few families, with children. They appreciated and some returned with their parents attending as well.
- The Welcome Center has also become an information center, for example directing people to the right tables and sign up sheets.
Mission Team Updated
- Time and talent surveys underway, to be able to match people with mission opportunities
- Dale Johnson has developed a plan to communicate weekly from the Mission Team to the congregation
- 43,000 meals packed for Stop Hunger Now, with contributions covering more than costs
- ALS Walk had 39 walkers and collected more than $2400 for ALS
- Started a new Habitat for Humanity house, along with Christ Episcopal
- Great Day of Service coming in May
- Planning summer activities, for all ages
- Elders requested that the committee keep metrics such as # of participants, etc.
Elder Governance Project (Tony Voiers and Barb Sibley)
- The idea was originally proposed because past Elders experienced some issues, and felt a call to explore this more. Not an issue with the people who were serving as Elders, but rather:
o inefficiency of 50% of the board changing every year.
o time and responsibility commitment
o Elders are exhausted by the end of their 2 year term
o Too much change in with regard to Elders who are liaisons to Staff.
- Original set-up of Elder Board was simply to get church started. Chose 12 and 50% change per year, as a way to be more efficient than the way that St. Andrews had run with 21 Elders and 21 Deacons. Decisions were very limited, with limited by-laws, so that we could move quickly and take all of the decisions necessary as a new church was starting.
- The proposal is brought forward at this time, because we now have a new Senior Pastor and the team working on this wants to see if a different elder governance set-up could help the church be more successful.
- There is a committee of 6 people who have volunteered to take this work on.
- Elder input:
o Look at other churches for models, seek input from congregation or a representation of the congregation
o Scope of study and recommendations – Elders want to see recommendation on the number of Elders, term, responsibilities, and ideas on other ways that the work could be done
o Study bible verses, research via other churches and relevant books. Provide updates and summary of findings multiple times in process.
- John raised the question: How does this rank with regard to urgency and importance? Low urgency, but could be a very important contribution by this Board to the future of the church. Feels it is important, that Elders understand the biblical basis of Elders. John has already taught on Ecclesiastics, so could do so for the Elders.
- Motion made to Commission the Working Team to proceed with the phase I and II. (I: Conduct literature reviews and interviews of at least 10 churches; II Review data and develop proposal and communication plan). Approved by verbal vote.
Proposal to Allocate Funds to Mission Team
- Continuation of decision to allocate an additional $30,000 to the Mission budget.
- What has happened with regard to our budget, and the ‘step out on faith”. A great story to share with congregation.
- Have gone from no budget (literally $0) to wondering how we can spend it all.
- Motion that we commit $30,000 from Foray Estate $ to mission funds. Approved by verbal vote.
- Who is responsible for creating and delivering the communication of this great development to the congregation? Mark Cates will develop and deliver the message.
- Reviewed the financial reports for January and February.
- Finance committee has the goal this year to review financial controls in place and if any improvements are warranted.
- Looking at implementing some form of electronic giving.
- Committee is working to renew lease and decide what building improvements are to be budgeted. Lease is currently 27% of our Operating budget.
- Current organizational chart has been updated.
- All full-time staff had their year-end review, and have met with Elders from Personnel Committee.
- Raises were given this year, for the first time in several years. We have not yet re-implemented the 401K giving for Staff.
- Discussed the need to be sure that the Elder Board and the Staff meet formally on a regular basis. Also, we need to consider that decisions we take can impact the staff and their workload.
- John will discuss the interaction type and frequency that brings value to the staff.
- Brain stated that there is a tremendous change in the staff attitude and energy. The staff is beginning to have time to dream, and is asking things like “What question does God want us to ask of him?”
- It was requested that the Elders grant Chris Sasser a Local Minister license, which will allow him to conduct limited pastoral duties, such as perform a wedding. This will be voted on at the May 3rd meeting.
- John plans to have a Town Hall meeting on May 1st.
Minutes for Elder Meeting March 1, 2011 @ 6:15
Present were: Chris Latta, Michelle Starbuck, Pat McInnes, Mark Cates, Drew Turner, Jim Salisbury, Todd Boersma, Murry Haber, Kathey Starkey, Brian Worley, and Mary Greene
Remote attendance: Joe Toomey
6:15 dinner with the elders
7:00 Meeting began with a devotion and prayer by Mary Greene
**Michelle Starbuck presented on the transition of John and Kelly to Raleigh. John and Kelley will drive to town on Mar.12 so John will have his car here-Kelly will fly home. The kids will be here for the week during their spring break later in March. We discussed sending a postcard to the congregation before the 20th-when John preaches his first sermon.
**The elders discussed the upcoming changes in communion for Mar. 6. Tim Conder skyped in to answer any questions we had about the changes. The elders decided to have tables fill the whole room rather than rotate the congregation through 6 tables.
**Mark Cates presented the budget once again. A motion was made and the budget approved for 2011. A motion was also approved to take some money we received from a gift to pay down part of the remaining loan on the south building. There was discussion on moving money to the missions account, no motion was made, it is tabled until next meeting. We discussed possible lease negotiations and where we are in that process, we cannot discuss further until we have met with our landlords.
**Tony Voiers skyped in to propose a research committee that would study leadership models and structure for Grace. Much discussion was had and it was tabled until the April meeting.
**Housing Designation allowance was approved for both Murry Haber and Brian Worley.
**The leadership initiatives presented last meeting were reviewed and discussed—some are already up and running, some assignments were given, some are still on hold. Most initiatives have staff and elders working together.It was agreed that the elders wanted to continue to care for Craig Holladay with a potential next step in the restoration process. Brian Worley and Todd Boersma will be inviting Craig to a meeeting. Pushed until next meeting were IV: “Becoming a Worshipping Community” and V. Financial Team Objectives.
We ended in prayer and the meeting concluded at 11:07.
Elder Board Minutes, February 1,2011
Attendance: Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Chris Latta, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green, Jim Salisbury, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Brian Worley, Murry Haber, Drew Turner, Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma, Pat McInnis
Secretary: Todd Boersma
1) Devotional and opening prayer – Todd Boersma
2) Finance update/2011 Budget – Mark Cates
a. 2010 Financial Year recap – giving was 6.16% under budget with a loss of $75,775; operating cash as of
12-31-10 of $136K; additional $149K gift in reserve money market account
b. 2011 financial goals – support a $1.2M budget (down 8% from 2010); pay-off construction loan by year-end; invest $100K in missions outside of typical budget; manage cash flow and line of credit; negotiate new lease for building with favorable terms
c. Review of 2011 projected budget – why is FICA increased by $10K ?(Brian Worley will investigate); loan repayment for renovations, $17K to come from operating and $16.338 from Money Market gift account; printing expenses have been reduced from 2010
d. Discussion regarding use of the $149K estate gift – three options are 1. Pay-off construction loan in full or partial, 2. Hold for cash flow to reduce line of credit use, and 3. Faith gift investing in missions
e. Risk Assessment – expect line of credit or MMA to be tapped in April-June period or surely in the summer months; as GCC builds momentum in 2011 we expect operational giving to grow
f. Next steps – missions committee to determine strategy; elders study any issues raised and be prepared to vote on and approve a final budget at March 1 meeting; John Ulrich to review budget prior to elder board vote
g. Prayed for our finances
4) Personnel motion regarding designation of Executive Pastor position – Michelle Starbuck
a. On behalf of the personnel committee, it was moved that the Board of Elders designate the position of Executive Pastor at GCC. This position is described in a draft position summary provided by the Personnel Committee and reviewed by the board, and will remain as a draft until the Sr. Pastor has arrived and determined with greater certainty the distribution of responsibilities. At that point changes can be made and recommended to the Personnel Committee. The Personnel Committee would then present changes to the Board for approval.
b. The motion was seconded and approved
c. A motion was made that Brian Worley, currently Interim Associate Pastor of Staff & Programming, be made Executive Pastor of GCC effective March 1, 2011.
d. The motion was seconded and approved
5) Discussion of staff issue raised by a member of the congregation – following GCC grievance policy, the complainant was contacted by an elder and a discussion took place, member stated that they only wanted to make the board aware of their concern. We will continue investing in and developing this staff member as with all members of Grace staff.
6) Discussed next overall update letter to congregation from the elders and need for it to be distributed asap.
7) Liaison updates (various elders)
8) Prayer for Grace staff – Mary Greene
9) 2011 Leadership Initiatives – Chris Latta
a. Introduced new leadership initiatives – leadership foundation, restoring the past to the present, becoming a
welcoming committee, becoming a worshiping community, financial team objectives
b. Initiatives will be discussed at next elder board meeting
10) Closed in prayer
Elder Board Minutes, January 18 2011 (January Board Meeting #2)
Attendance: Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Chris Latta, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green, Jim Salisbury, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Brian Worley, Murry Haber, Drew Turner, Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma, Bill Johnston
Absent: Pat McInnis
Secretary: Mark Cates
1) Introduction of Tim Conder
Minister of Emmaus Way ( www.emmausway.net ), a small community church, congregation of students and faculty. Tim has been in large churches for many years and was at Chapel Bible Church for many years. Tim introduced himself to the Elders and spoke out his preaching series at Grace which will focus on a book from Henry Nouwen “Reaching Out”. While Tim is leading our worship, he will be meeting at the Wednesday staff meetings and worship planning.
2) Comments from Mary Mason
Mary led the Elders in a devotion.
3) Finance update: (Bill Johnston)
- 2010 Financial Year close out
- Cash Flow graph
- Discussion of designated accounts as liabilities towards our operational account
- Pledge cards - Present them in February 2011 – each week in February
4) Town Hall Meetings (Chris Latta)
a. Sunday Jan 23 after 9:15 11:00
b. Monday Men’s Bible Study after ward
c. Tuesday Stephen Ministers 8:15
d. Wednesday morning Bible Studies
- Opportunity to have dialog
- Some discussions about our Elder lead church
- Congregation wants more input on hiring/firing in general
- We can repeat Chris Radke’s script on the process
- Explain why we chose John Ulrich
- Affirming the Core Values and John’s Philosophy of Ministry and that John has affirmed the document.
- Elder Board Time line over last 2-3 years – 50% have been new to the Elder board
- Speakers have been contacted already
- Will be announced in Grace Vine
5) Organizational Structure and Personnel (30 minutes) – Michelle Starbuck and Brian Worley
a. Need a job description for Executive Pastor
b. More details including a job description for the Feb 1 meeting
6) Music Ministry
a. The oversight of the music ministry is the responsibility of the worship team, headed by the senior pastor.
b. Budget needs, commitment
c. Proposal that Jerry McDowell be hired to work with Katie Henry for an interim time period.
d. Motion was approved.
7) Jan 30 John Ulrich meeting
a. Jan 28th Friday night social at Chris Latta’s house with the Ulrichs 7:00 – 10:00 – Open to all Elders and Resting Elders, including spouses and guests
b. Sunday night dinner with the Staff
8) Communion – we need to remember to serve the band on stage
9) Feb 1st – 6:00 Elders will eat dinner before the Elder’s meeting at the church
10) The meeting was adjourned with prayer.
Elder Board Minutes, January 4 2011 (January Board Meeting)
Attendance: Mark Cates, Mary Mason, Chris Latta, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Green, Jim Salisbury, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Brian Worley, Murry Haber, Pat McInnis, Drew Turner. Remote attendance: Kay Gamble, Todd Boersma
Secretary: Mark Cates
1) Opening Prayer/Devotion - Mark Cates
2) Chris Latta read into the minutes approval for November 30 2010 Elder Board minutes – All Elders approved the minutes.
3) Finance update: (Mark Cates)
- Mark Cates presented the end December 2010 Finance Report, and later submitted an Amended Report.
- Finance Committee will meet on Jan 17 & 19th. Elders will meet January 18 and spend part of meeting on 2011 Finances and the Finance Committee will provide a year-end summary at that time.
- Finance Committee will present a budget to Elders on February 1st.
- Schedule calls for having a 2011 budget voted on March 1 2011 by the Elders.
- Discussion on using Pledge cards for budgeting giving purposes. This will need to wait until Jan 18th Elder meeting. The Elders believed it was not appropriate to hand out Pledge cards on January 9th or 16th.
- Elders prayed for the Finances.
4) Update on John and Kelly Ulrich (30 minutes)
a. John is in town on the January 9th – will be presented to the congregation
b. John, Kelly, Elisabeth and Calvin in town for formal call to Grace on the January 30th
c. Start date at Grace is March 14 – Is agreed to with John.
d. Possibly 1st date for preaching at Grace – March 20 2011
e. John is working to have a smooth transition from his current church
5) Transition Team/Communications Team (30 minutes) – All
Transition team is focused on details and projects of transitioning to the new Sr Pastor.
Met on December 15 and here are some actions of the team:
a. Has sent them a package on NC, Grace slide shows from many events
b. Mary Beth and David Brown will work with them helping them with schools
c. Cheryl Lowder and Chris Sasser are helping the kids transition to kids in the congregation
d. Robin and Cathy – Jan 16, lunch – Hope Tharrington is organizing this lunch
6) New Elder ordination will be at the Jan 9 2011 service at 9:15 with recognition at 11:00 service
7) Town Hall Meetings
a. Jan 9th after 11:00 service, 12:25ish in the Gym
b. Monday night Bible Studies at 7:00
c. Tuesday night – Stephen Ministers
d. Possibly Wednesday morning at
e. Jan 23 only at 10:30 after the 9:15 service
-presentation by Brian Worley
-many Elders will be available to answer questions
Subsequently, all Town Hall Meetings have been rescheduled to January 23 services
8) Time of prayer for John and Kelly, Robin and Cathy and our congregation
9) Personnel Report: – Michelle Starbuck
a. Org. Structure draft was presented
b. Sr Pastor reports to the Board of Elders. Other Pastors report to the Sr Pastor.
c. Proposal to create a new Pastor position, an Executive Pastor. This position will need to be presented to and approved by the Board of Elders by Jan 18 2011 so the Finance Committee can budget in 2011.
d. Executive Pastor has the responsibilities of Financial Director; Bill Johnston will be retiring in March.
e. Administrative Assistants would report to Executive Pastor
10) Staff Reports and Issues (30 minutes) – Brian
11) Assignment of Elder Liaisons for 2011
ELDER LIAISONS: The “WIN” is to support the ministries and staff of Grace by strengthening and deepening the relationship and investment of the elder board with the ministry staff. Liaisons’ activities include:
- Intentionally fostering an honest, open, and trusting relationship between the elder and staff person.
- Acting as an informed advocate of the ministry to the board and of the board to the ministry. This requires the liaison to be actively involved in the ministry — to know the heartbeat of the staff person and the joys and challenges of the ministry, to provide specific prayer support, etc.
- To serve, when appropriate, as an additional communication point for the ministry with the congregation.
- Depending on needs and circumstances, determine if a committee would be helpful and effective and, if so, help organize and serve on such a committee.
*Importantly, the liaison is not to become a go-between for complaints and criticisms, but is to embrace the spirit of our Grievance Policy and encourage both members and staff to follow the prescribed steps.
2010 ELDER LIAISON ASSIGNMENTS (with primary staff contact in parentheses)
- Children’s (Ashley Henderson): Joe Toomey Ministry team includes Mary Ann Glick, Christy Mazer, Jill Swisher, and Erin Winston
- Congregational Life (includes Adult Ed) (Murry Haber): Mary Mason
- Facilities (Doug Funk): Jim Salisbury (elder liaison), Doug Funk (staff), Kate Berry, Les Crenshaw, Chris Ertel, Asa Rogerson, Chuck & Jeanette Sloan, Reeves Spainhour
- Finance (Bill Johnston)/ Becky Crenshaw): Mark Cates
- Mission and Outreach (no staff person): Kathy Starkey (elder liaison), Holly Cook, Chandler & Lon Ellis, Doug Funk, Ginger Gentry, Karen Latta, Lane Morgan, Doug & Kathy Starkey, Bill Walker, Greg Westfall
- Music (Katie Henry): Mary Greene
- Staff and Programming (Brian Worley): Chris Latta until March/Michelle Starbuck -March-December
- Senior Pastor (John Ulrich): Chris Latta
- Youth (Chris Sasser): Todd Boersma
- Ginger Gentry: Pat McInnis
12) Resting Elders dinner – Jan 13 2011, organized by Mary Mason at Michelle Starbuck’s house
13) Doug Bergeson will lead a team to review of our By Laws and bring any recommendations back to the Board of Elders.
14) The meeting was adjourned with prayer.
Elder Meeting Minutes 12/21/10
In attendance: Doug Bergeson, Todd Boersma, Mark Cates, Mary Greene, Brad Gwinn, Murry Haber, Chris Latta, Mary Mason, Pat McInnes, Chris Radtke, Alicia Ross, Jim Salisbury, Michelle Starbuck, Kath Starkey, Joe Toomey, Drew Turner, Elizabeth Voiers, G Walker, and Brain Worley
After opening with an hour of prayer in the sanctuary, the board of elders went back to room 119 to share where each was in his/her own processing and discernment about the pastoral search. After everyone had shared, it became clear that there was consensus candidate. And, as all in the room felt comfortable – after a great deal of time, tears, discussion, and prayers – in taking an official vote, the question was called.
In answer to the question “Are you prepared to call John Ulrich as the new senior pastor of Grace Community Church?” the final vote was 10 to 3 in favor of the motion. As importantly, although the three elders in the minority were simply not at that moment in a place in which they could affirm John above all the other candidates, each of the three was completely supportive of the vote and confident that John was indeed the one God was calling to Grace!
After a couple of tries, we were able to get hold of John, who accepted our offer on the spot. It was then decided that we would immediately try to set up a meeting in Greensboro the next day with the Phillips (which did, in fact, take place) and that Chris Latta would contact the other three candidates (Bill, Gary, and Michael) on Wednesday as well.
As soon as all the candidates were informed, the staff and the PSC would be told of our decision, and a church-wide email would be sent (it went out Thursday 12/23).
Board Minutes, November 30th, 2010 (December Board Meeting)
Attendance: Mark Cates, Brad Gwinn, Doug Bergeson, Chris Radtke, Mary Mason, Chris Latta, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Greene, Elizabeth Voiers, G Walker, Jim Salisbury, Alicia Ross, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, Todd Boersma, Brian Worley, Murry Haber, Pat McInnis, Drew Turner,
Meeting began at 7:00 PM with a devotional by G Walker
Approval of the minutes from the November 9th meeting.
Approval of new church officers and committee members:
- Sherry Gupton-President, two-year term
- Karen Latta-Secretary, two-year term
- David Brown-At-Large Personnel Committee Member
Approval to change Finance Committee membership from one elder member and three At-Large members to two elder members (one from each class) and two at-large members.
Finance Update from Drew Turner:
- There is still concern that the giving is under budget. We still need to have strong giving in December. We have not used the line of credit this year and do not expect to.
The board prayed over finances.
Personnel Update by Michelle Starbuck:
- Skip and Linda White will be hosting the Staff Christmas Party this year.
- Affirmed staff roles and responsibilities will remain as they are as we head into 2011.
The board prayed over Personnel.
Pastoral Search Update:
- The meeting dates of December 13th and December 21st have been added to the current schedule.
- Carla Starr presented the AVA personality profile process and to-date results for the candidates.
- Mary Mason gave a Communication Team update
The board prayed over the Pastor Search process, candidates, and congregation.
Brian Worley gave the Worship Planning and Staff Report:
- The children’s holiday program for December 5th was highlighted
- Special programming for the services on December 12th, 19th 24th, as well as the 26th.
- The staff reports were handed out.
The meeting was closed with prayer.
Minutes November 9, 2010 Elder meeting
Meeting began at 7:30 with devotion led by Elizabeth Voiers.
In Attendance: All active elders, Brian Worley, and all six soon to be new elders. Absent: Brad Gwinn, Murry Haber
Approval of minutes from meeting on October 12th 2010.
Finance update from Mark Cates: The finance committee is preparing for the creation of the 2011 budget as well as lease and healthcare negotiations in January. There is still concern about the current cash balance and we need a strong November and December in giving. Several people will be speaking in worship on stewardship over the next few weeks.
Worship planning from Brian Worley: Preaching is covered through the end of the year. Details are still being worked out for Christmas Eve services. Katie Henry will be our interim worship leader beginning November 28th.
Pastor Search: Entire board discussed the past candidate weekend and any changes that needed to be made in the format for future weekends. Finalized candidate weekend invitations and elder follow up meetings.
Liaison reports: Mission report from Alicia Ross- The elders and staff have been invited to participate in the Advent devotion being designed by the mission committee.
Facilities report by Jim Salisbury- many lights have been changed in the building and there is a need for more ushers.
Doug Bergeson closed the meeting in prayer at 10:37
Minutes of Board of Elders October 12, 2010
In attendance: Doug Bergeson, Mary Mason, Murry Haber, Brad Gwinn, G. Walker, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Greene, Chris Radtke, Chris Latta, Elizabeth Voiers, Kay Gamble, Mark Cates, Pat McInnes, Jim Salisbury, Todd Boersma, Drew Turner and Brian Worley.
Meeting was called to order by Doug Bergeson at 7:00 pm.
New Elders for 2011-2012 were introduced to the board: Todd Boersma, Kay Gamble, Pat McInnes and Drew Turner in attendance and Joe Toomey, Kathy Starkey who were absent.
Devotion was presented by Jim Salisbury, followed by the opening Prayer.
Approval of 9/7/10 Board Minutes read into record.
New members were presented and approved by the board. New members were introduced as Julie and John Diets, Greg Roberson and Lisa Spears.
Mark Cates presented the Finance Report:
- Year to date giving was reported to be down 6% over last year
- Year to date attendance was reported to be up 9.1% over last yr.
- Update on lease negotiation – still pending
- Stewardship Sundays announced for November 7th and 14th.
- Discussion on the emphasis of the message to the congregation was
- Next year’s budget process to start in November by finance committee.
Chris Latta was recommended for next year’s moderator and approved by the board and accepted by Chris.
Personnel committee report made by G. Walker:
- Board was presented a letter of resignation from Adam Herrod effective
November 1, 2010.
- A day of celebration for Adam’s contributions to Grace was set for the
congregation on October 31st.
- Love offering for Adam was discussed and approved
Brian Worley presented staff reports:
- Children and Youth programs are strong and vibrant, with a good
number of first time visitors.
- A discussion on who will fill preaching and music until the end of the
Year was made.
Murry Haber presented his report and expressed concern on the MDF (Ministers’ Discretionary Fund) that had only $700.00 left in it. A discussion was held on ways to convey the need to the congregation and seek donations. Murry and Elizabeth will strategize on ways to advertise the purpose and need of the MDF.
Brian Worley recommended the board consider the use of Katie Henry to help fill the music minister role for November. It was agreed and Brian was to ask Katie to do so.
Personnel reported they are working on documents that will describe the Senior pastor’s role, job description, nature of reporting to the board along with hiring and firing procedures.
Time was spent reflecting on the joint Elder/PSC meeting on Tuesday October 5th.
A couple of elder liaison reports were given.
Meeting was closed with corporate prayer.
Meeting adjourned at 10:10 pm
Minutes of the Board of Elder September 7, 2010
Doug Bergeson called the meeting to order at 7:30 pm, followed by a devotion and prayer by Michelle Starbuck.
Elders Present: Doug Bergeson, Mark Cates, Mary Greene, Chris Latta, Mary Mason, Chris Radtke, Alicia Ross, Jim Salisbury, Michelle Starbuck, Elizabeth Voiers,
Absent: Brad Gwinn
Staff Present: Murry Haber, Bill Johnston, Brian Worley
Pastor Search Committee (PSC) Members: Mary Beth Brown, Pat McInnis, Greg Westfall
Guest: John Berry
Minutes from the August Board, approved via email, were read into the minutes.
Bill Johnston gave the financial report. He stated the while giving is still trending down, our expenses are also trending down. Giving for the year is 5.7% under budget. He recommended that a communication to the congregation go out this fall to help explain the full financial picture and to make the congregation aware of our financial situation.
There was a discussion on the need to communicate about stewardship to the congregation on an ongoing basis.
We had a time of prayer for our finances and for effective communication on stewardship.
John Berry came to the meeting to discuss his concerns and questions about the announcement of Robin’s stepping away from the ministry while he is a candidate in the senior pastor search process. He expressed his frustrations, from a congregant’s perspective, of having an “invisible wall” between the congregation and the elders.
The elders, PSC and staff addressed his questions and concerns. He stated he appreciated the time and clarification.
A letter from the elders, to more fully address the need and reasons for asking Robin to step away from ministry, will be sent to the congregation this week. Also, a proposed date of Oct., 8, 2010 was made to have a church wide prayer vigil dedicated to this season in our church, details to be worked out by Mary Mason and Michelle Starbuck.
Note: Unless otherwise noted, all Board of Elders meeting are open to the members of Grace.
The PSC presented an update of where the pastor search process was to date. They also stated that the elders would now officially enter the process along side the committee. In order to help the elders better appreciate the breadth of this process, three members from the PSC shared their personal journeys and experiences. A timeline with dates and procedures was discussed. A full application was handed to every elder with the directive to become familiar with and understand more fully how the PSC has been conducting interviews. The elders will now begin meeting with the PSC as the final phase of the search process begins.
We had a time of prayer for all aspects of the search for our next senior pastor.
A slate of the 2011-2012 class of elders (consisting of Todd Boersma, Kay Gamble, Pat McInnes, Kathy Starkey, Joe Toomey, and Drew Turner) was presented and approved.
Grace will hold its annual meeting at the beginning of the 9:15 service on Sunday, Sept 26, 2010 with the express purpose to elect the next class of elders.
A recommended change to how we have historically conducted the elder nominee “vetting” process was also discussed and approved.
After excusing any staff present, G Walker led a personnel discussion which was private as it dealt with a compensation issue.
The two new member classes, which will be held at Grace Sept. 12 & 19, will each be attended by four elders who will be there for support and questions.
Staff reports were distributed by Brian Worley.
Meeting was adjourned at 11:30.
Respectfully submitted, Michelle Starbuck
Grace Elder Meeting Notes – August 3, 2010
Elders Present – Jim Salisbury, Mary Mason, Chris Latta, Mark Cates, Brad Gwynn, Elizabeth Voiers, Alicia Ross, Mary Greene, Doug Bergeson
Absent – Chris Radtke, Michelle Starbuck, G Walker
Staff present- Brian Worley, Bill Johnston and Murry Haber
Guests – Accountant representative from Thomas, Judy and Tucker, PA and Bob Herrick
The meeting was called to order at 7:04 pm.
Our accountant representative was present to give the overview of the audit of our Financial Statements years ended December 31, 2009 and 2008. All was found to be sound and accurate.
Alicia Ross opened our meeting with a devotion and prayer.
Meeting notes from 7/6/2010 were approved by a majority of Elders via email and that approval was read into the minutes and so noted.
Bill Johnston gave the financial report on behalf of the finance Committee. Bill noted that for the first time giving had dropped in relation to attendance in a historical comparison. (In the past while attendance had fallen, giving had not fallen at the same rate. As of the end of July, giving had fallen at a faster rate than attendance.)
Bill also reported that to date we have not had to draw on the line of credit. Cash available was sufficient as of now, but we are as of the end of June, 7.0 % under budget, or $48,728.
A discussion ensued on the best way to approach this deficit. It was agreed that the financial committee would review and recommend actions that may be taken to improve the shortfall.
Bill also announced that he and Pat would be moving to Florida and therefore must resign his position. He is more than willing to work remotely and be present for future meetings as needed in the interim of Personnel deciding on a recommendation for replacement.
We then entered into a time of prayer for the gifts Bill has brought to his position and for blessings upon Pat and him as they enter this new season in their lives.
Doug B. updated the board on the Nominating process. Nominations deadline was slated for August 15, 2010 and the Nominating Committee would hold their meeting on Monday, August 16, 2010 to bring forth a slate on candidates for approval at the September Elder’s meeting.
We then entered into a time of prayer for the Nominating Committee process.
A New Member Class for September 12 & 19 was presented. Elders were asked to commit to attending one of the meetings to meet, greet and answer questions. Becky Crenshaw will contact and handle the Elders who can attend.
Chris Latta updated the board on the Pastoral Search Process. Chris explained that it was the PSC’s desire that candidates would be presented to this year’s board before the end of term for the 2009-2010 class. He was very encouraged at the quality and number of candidates and reported that they had already engaged in several Skype interviews.
A discussion then ensued about a congregational wide prayer process for the Pastoral search. Mary Mason agreed to come forth with a proposal on how best to organize and date this very important event.
A discussion and review of proposed Elder Letter to congregation which describes some of the process, the level of interest and quality of the candidates, as well as addressing our approach with Robin becoming a candidate if he and Cathy so choose. The letter also attempts to address the concerns we have of maintaining the confidentiality of the candidates and seeks to preserve Robin’s privacy in the process as we move forward.
The letter was approved to go out by email and snail mail.
There was also a discussion about having an opt in or opt out of snail mail communication by all in the congregation as an opportunity to cut down on postage and printing expenses. It was agreed that this was a good idea and Brian ??? agreed to look into how this might be accomplished.
We then entered into a time of prayer for all aspects of our search – for the PSC, for the candidates, for our congregation, for wisdom in how to communicate effectively, for God’s hand and direction in all that we are doing.
Brian then presented his staff reports. He presented the redesign and fix up of Grace Hall and Atrium area as the estimates had come in to the committee working on this proposed project. Reports were discussed and Alicia R. suggested that if we do proceed with any form of this project that for every dollar we spend “on ourselves” we commit to spending on an outreach endeavor (or “someone else”). All were appreciative of the need and value of the proposed updates and improvements, but concern was expressed, in general, about the wisdom and timing of doing anything expensive given our present budget shortfall.
No decision was made on the project or how to fund it. Further discussion will take place at future meetings.
Brad G reported that the Gymsox reunion was scheduled for Sunday August 15, 2010 along with a Youth missions fundraiser BBQ to take place that morning and early afternoon.
Alicia R. reported that the Mission and Outreach Committee had scheduled a planning retreat for September 19 and 20.
Bob Herrick then presented his concerns over the proposed building fix up as well as the reduction to Murry Haber’s hours. Much discussion ensued over both of these topics. Elders thanked Bob for his concerns, encouraged him that the “fix-up” was only in the proposal stage and no decision had been made. As far as his concern over Murry, several elders, including those on the Personnel committee, assured him that Murry was treated in all fairness and encouraged him to speak directly with Murry.
We then closed the meeting at 10:21 in prayer.
Elder Class 2009-2010
Minutes of the Special Congregational Meeting, Sunday, July 18, 2010
Doug Bergeson, moderator of the Board of Elders, called the meeting to order at 9:15 am as there was a quorum (10%) of the membership present.
The purpose of the meeting was stated: for the membership to elect a new nominating committee which will serve a one year term through June 30, 2011. It was further stated that the primary responsibility of this committee will be to bring forward for congregational approval a new group of six elders which will serve a two year term starting in January.
The moderator presented to the membership the following slate of candidates approved and recommended by the board of elders (each stood as their name was read): Les Crenshaw, Holly Cook, Brad Gwinn, Mary Mason, Alicia Ross, Jim Salisbury, Hope Tharrington, and Tony Voiers.
A motion was made and seconded to approve the slate as presented. A vote via raised hands was taken and all approved with no votes opposed. According to the by-laws and policies of the church the moderator declared the slate of nominees approved. A motion was made and seconded to adjourn the meeting.
The moderator closed the meeting with prayer at 9:20 am.
Minutes of the Meeting of the Board of Elders, July 6, 2010
In attendance: Doug Bergeson, Mark Cates, Mary Greene, Brad Gwinn, Murry Haber, Bill Johnston, Chris Latta, Mary Mason, Chris Radtke, Jim Salisbury, Michelle Starbuck
Absent: Alicia Ross, Elizabeth Voiers, G Walker
Doug Bergeson called the meeting to order at 7:00 p.m. followed by a devotion by Chris Radtke.
The minutes of the June 2010 meeting were approved by all present.
The slate for the Nominating Committee (Les Crenshaw, Holly Cook, Brad Gwinn, Mary Mason, Alicia Ross, Jim Salisbury, Hope Tharrington, and Tony Voiers) was approved by all present.
The communication for the July 18, 2010 “Special Congregation Meeting” was approved by all present.
Bill Johnston briefed the elders on the giving and attendance. The Finance Committee expressed concern about the relationship between attendance and the trend of downward per capita giving. The majority of funds needed to pay for trips have been paid. We are presently 7.2% under budget for this year. Preaddressed and stamped envelopes are available in the Atrium and already several people have used them.
Doug Bergeson, G Walker, Bill Johnston and Ashley Parr-Henderson have met to discuss several issues concerning the Parents Morning Out (PMO) and Preschool programs. The focus of this meeting converged on three primary areas: organization, personnel, and finance and budget.
Under the organizational realm, it was recommended that the budget for these unfunded two programs should be moved out of the Designated Funds and accounted for under the Children’s Ministry Account.
Concerning personnel, it was recommended that since the individuals involved in these programs are considered employees of the Church, the Personnel Committee should take ownership of the personnel issues and ensure that these individuals are treated as any other employee of the Church. This would include performance reviews and salary evaluations when they occur.
In the area of finance and budget, it was recommended that the Board of elders consider a tuition increase in September 2011 to ensure that the true costs of operation are covered.
All three of these recommendations were affirmed by the Board of Elders.
Bill gave us an update on the lease negotiations and after discussion it was decided to table the issue and see if re-negotiations with the landlord could release us from signing on for a longer term lease to benefit from a rent savings in the first two years. The finance committee will again take a look at this issue before signing a lease.
Bill has looked into the possibility of electronic giving capability with TransactU, a part of ServiceU with whom we already use for online registrations. There is a 3% transaction fee for all electronic giving. Jim Salisbury is looking into the possibility of an alternative that eliminates the transaction fee.
Bill discussed the question of whether to post our financial updates on the new website, but he felt that since these updates are in the bulletin every Sunday, they can be left off the website. The elders affirmed this recommendation.
The Children’s Ministry discussion has been postponed to the August elders meeting.
Michelle Starbuck reported for the personnel committee that there is still no money available for raises and/or bonuses. This will be reviewed again later this year.
Two directives have been moved from the Associate Pastor of Pastoral Care and Adult Discipleship position to the Assimilation Ministry. These directives are: new member/guest oversight and community life/small groups. These will now be under the responsibility of the Interim Associate Pastor of Staff and programming.
Chris Sasser’s position will become Director of Youth and Their Families, overseeing all aspects of high school and middle school ministries, staff and interns. There are 4 support positions under this ministry. The elders affirmed the recommendation that we consider Clark Rinehart for a high school internship position.
Murry presented a proposal for an adult discipleship team consisting of several church members to review and vet all classes presented at Grace. The elders felt that this may become cumbersome and have entrusted that task to Murry.
Chris Latta reported on the progress of the pastoral search committee. Three applicants have been interviewed via Skype and several more are scheduled for August. 345 people have inquired about this position so far, of which 73 are applicants. The PSC will be meeting weekly in August to do more interviews via Skype. The end date for receiving applications is being discussed.
Consideration of Robin in the application process was discussed and pending approval of the elders absent from the meeting, the board has affirmed the recommendation by the PSC to invite Robin in at some point in the process and to relate this to Robin.
Brian reported via Skype that the redesign team is now working on the design flow and price structure. Doug Funk should have something in writing by Friday, July 9th. A discussion ensued about the cost of this project and how it will be paid for. Jim Salisbury expressed concern about asking the congregation for donations now when we might need to ask them again in a few years if we outgrow our facilities. Brian felt that this is the cost of doing ministry.
The Shame Off You conference is set for October 9th and the plan is to partner with other churches. The administrator will be sending documentation on price structure and details.
Robin continues to meet with Craig every other week in the summer and is hoping to have a time of reconciliation with the congregation on August 29th.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:05 after a time of prayer.
Elder Board meeting June 1, 2010
In attendance: Mary Mason, Murry Haber,Brad Gwinn, Brian Worley, Chris Latta, Jim Salisbury, G Walker, Chris Radtke, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Greene, Alicia Ross, Elizabeth Voiers, Mark Cates and Doug Bergeson.
Bill Johnston not able to attend.
Doug called us together at 7:05 pm and opened our meeting with a note from Karen Reardon, thanking us for the use of Grace hall for a piano recital.
Prayer and devotional by Mary Mason.
Approval of May 4th meeting notes.
Personnel committee report followed.
- E. Voiers moved to hire the 3 part-time workers for the middle school positions; salaries had already been approved in the 2010 budget. Positions to begin this summer and continue until June of 2011.
- M. Starbuck and Cindy Hays have met with Sass and discussed his thoughts on high school ministry.
Finance- reported by M. Cates in Bill Johnston’s absence.
We are behind budget by a little bit- about 2%.
Finance is discussing rent reductions as we have been approached by landlord to rent for 2 more years with a promised rent reduction that would go until 2/2013. Our lease is due to be renegotiated in Feb, 2011. The offer was for a reduction of about 2 1/2 %, it was suggested that we ask for a greater reduction as commercial space is widely available at this time.
Mark will report back on these discussions.
Website and Logo report
A Herod and C Sasser looked thru the new website materials today (6/1) and discussed issues with the process of the new site:
- They had used stock footage- we desire real pictures of our church- pictures have been taken for this usage.
- The site calls all kids and youth- students. The site needs to better define the age groupings.
- The logo does not have the cross in it for now; we may go thru the summer without it, they are researching the desirable cross to be used.
The site launch is hopefully June 4th.
All staff will manage their own space on the site and make changes as they need to.
Pastoral search team report and discussion
C. Latta reported that we are still in the early stage of the search but we have already received 270 resumes for our position of senior pastor. The original list of 160 have been narrowed down to 64 that will move onto application stage. The next meeting of the committee will be spent working to narrow down the 110 new resumes received.
We all need to pray for the large job that the pastoral search committee is doing. Many hours have been spent and many more will be necessary to complete their task. They will need prayer for endurance, discernment, for committee members to not let individual personalities get in the way, for the right person to be evident – one with a clear understanding God’s grace in our lives.
Chris reported that they are also sending out “no thanks” (denial letters) to those that are not selected for application stage.
Discussion of Robin/Cathy Phillips, their future plans, and our search.
- There will be a meeting with Craig this Thursday evening (6/3) for those elders that wish to meet with him and may have relevant issues with him.
- Children’s ministry- a committee has been formed to dialogue with Ashley to help discuss final decisions for childrens’ programming for the next year. Brian indicated that she may attend the July board meeting to make a presentation. The main discussions will center on the 11:00 am worship service/programming for kids. The options are;
- Keep the program closed at 11:00 until further committee discussion.
- Open back up programming at 11:00.
- Leave it as is until the elder board discussion on this issue and possibly reopen programming in early 2011.
-We reviewed Doug Funk’s wish list for the redesign of Grace hall and the atrium. John Bradford’s company will measure out the building and layout the redesign ideas. There are no monies in the budget for this dream- it will need financing. The idea is to create an environment that embraces and invites folks into the building and gives good directions for activities.
Shame Off You conference- done by Robin’s pastor in a Saturday conference form 9 am to 3 pm. Grace might sponsor it with conference fees charged and special funding.
The “Defining Worship” discussion has been delayed until the fall.
Trips- locally and international this summer- all need prayer.
Youth will be holding a fund raiser on 8/15 to cover their trips.
Facilites group has met and will begin preparing a comprehensive list of building use as to who, what , when, repairs needed and how much moving of stuff is done on a regular basis.
Adult discipleship reported on the Bible/ book studies available for all this summer on Sunday mornings and Wednesday mornings and evenings.
Missions- held their first “Missions Moment” – very successful.
Are trying to find out where the $$ for missions are spent.
Working on building a team of the whole church for missions.
Abro group will arrive June 15th.
Adult mission trip will be in Oct. If Mexico is still unstable the monies for building the houses will be sent so that the work can continue.
We closed the meeting with community prayer for all our discussions and for Brian’s summer ministry trips.
The meeting was adjourned at 10:15 pm.
Respectfully submitted by Mary Mason.
Elder Meeting Minutes May 4, 2010
In attendance: Bill Johnston, Mary Mason, Brad Gwinn, Brian Worley, Chris Latta, Jim Salsbury, Mark Cates, G Walker, Chris Radtke, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Greene Alicia Ross, Elizabeth Voiers and Doug Bergeson
Absent: Murry Haber
Doug Bergeson called meeting to order at 7:00
Prayer and devotion by Chris Latta
Approval of 4/6 minutes, Tom Proctor as Treasurer and Lura Pieringer as at large finance member.
Finances and Attendance; Bill Johnston: Sunday May 2, our 10th anniversary was a great success with 855 in attendance. Giving was at $36,590. Audit will start Monday 5/10
Middle School Proposal: Brian Worley talked about plan for fall for middle school. Kim Polston, Jenna Carter and Matt Berry would lead on a weekly basis. Asking for a 10-month commitment. Would start June 1st(matt) and August 1(Jenna and Kim) Personnel Committee is having staffing discussions around Assimilation and High School Ministries.
Prayer time for finances and middle school
Update on Website and Computer Upgrades: Brian Worley
Brian shared with elders about the new website which looked great and will launch by June 4th
Talked about different options that the web site would have.
Discussion about new Grace logo and is it acceptable being lower case
Should there be a cross in the logo yes or no
Can the logo be changed at a later date with out incurring a cost?
Computers upgrades new Shelby server up this Monday5/10, Becky and Ashley
have new computers
Assimilation Plan: Brian Worley
Google GCC would come up first or much higher in the search engine
Met with Doug Funk about updates to the atrium and repainting the purple wall a new color.
July 6 deadline to make list and team to make this happen by 8/15
Consider bringing in one person from outside to help the team
New welcome cards not working, not enough staff to make follow up happen
Update on Pastoral Search: Chris Latta
Official search will start May 5 with a link to the search page until the new web site is available on June 4
Discussion: Egalitarian vs. Complementarian – Biblical Basis and Thoughts
Prayer for the search process and who we might hire?
Update of Children’s Ministry: Brian Worley
Decided for the 11:00 service children ministry would end mid may until mid September
Set up Task Force to focus on Children’s ministry within the overall strategy and priorities of Grace. Task force will include: Ashley, Brian, Mary Greene, Michelle Starbuck, Mary Mason and other members TBA
Liaison Reports/Staff Reports
New Bible study starting Wednesday June 2 led by Murry Haber on Following Jesus
Missions: Has been approved to have once a month to have someone from missions more prominent during worship. Lynn (Doug Bergeson’s sister) will be here in May.
Murry: Is in Texas caring for his parents
Jim Salsbury: How can we help the unemployed at Grace? Jim plans a meeting on June 6th on how to proceed with this task. Suggestion from Mark Cates to send them to St. Andrews because of their existing program for the unemployed.
Reflections on May 2nd
Thanks to all of the people who helped to make it a great day.
Cardboard testimonies were well received
Great moment for Murry and Sharon at the 11:00 service
Close with prayers of thanksgiving and thank goodness not another song
Adjourn at 10:05